My fermentation tank is about to pop! w/ pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samson's Brew&Ski

Reaction score
Good morning guys,

Before bed last night I checked on my brew that I just brewed that same day, well Im glad I checked because I saw that the blue plastic cover was popping off so I decided to duck tape it down overnight.

The next morning came and I checked on it and found that the blue cover was still able to be pushed upwards a bit even though it is being held down by duck tape, I couldn't believe it! Theres some serious pressure in there.

Well I kind of knew this beer would create this much fermentation so I luckily made a blow off tube to my flask for that reason. Well, the beer has eached the flask and is just now starting to bubble out of the flask and onto the carpet.

What should I do? Im leaving for the weekend too! Ahhhh

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.11.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.11.56 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 207
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.12.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.12.09 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.12.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.12.18 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 198
Hurry up and put them both in a plastic storage bin to protect the carpet. Hopefully you won't blow your lid, but I don't use a BMB so I can't say for sure. A larger diameter blow off tube and jar would help. I use a 1/2 gal OJ container for mine.

Hurry up and put them both in a plastic storage bin to protect the carpet. Hopefully you won't blow your lid, but I don't use a BMB so I can't say for sure. A larger diameter blow off tube and jar would help. I use a 1/2 gal OJ container for mine.
I just released as much pressure from the BMBl as I could but the fermentation is so quick right now that it almost instantly brings the high pressure back up. I have also changed my blowoff vessel to a 5 gal bucket just in case.

I also took it off the heating pad to cool it.

And of course, duct taped the hell out of it.

fingers crossed it calms down by tonight or tomorrow morning.

Not sure what else to do from here.

update, I used a bucket as my blow off lol and covered the fermentor pretty good hahaha

Attachments

• 62990948432__80C16429-1742-4F21-A481-0733607BB4B1.JPG
    62990948432__80C16429-1742-4F21-A481-0733607BB4B1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 71
Are you controlling your ferm temps by keeping them toward the lower end of the yeast's range?
Doing so makes better beer, creating fewer off flavors and other byproducts, and gives less krausen.

@IslandLizard post brings up a good point. I took a second look at your pictures and noticed the temperature strip on your fermenter appears to read 75 degrees which is warm for most ale yeast strains. Also, your temperature probe is not insulated so your temperature controller is reading the ambient air temp. Get some bubble wrap and tape it over the probe. I use a bubble wrap Amazon shipping bag because its what I had in the house. I also use a bungee cord because the tape was getting messy.

Are you controlling your ferm temps by keeping them toward the lower end of the yeast's range?
Doing so makes better beer, creating fewer off flavors and other byproducts, and gives less krausen.
thanks for commenting!

just got back from the weekend and found everything okay with the brew.

To your question, no, I have been keeping it in the middle of the temp range at 72 (66-76,) because I felt that it kept the bottom closer to 74 while the top was at 69. I also use a heat temp gun to measure more accurately. The heating pad that I'm using doesn't allow me to really keep my temp at a specific temp. but it does do a good job at keeping the wort in the range. But thank you for that insight, I will definitely put that in my food for thought for my future brews!

Question for you, kind of off topic, but how long should I use a blow off tube? I came home and noticed fermenting is slowing down. should I swap back to a normal airlock? does having a blow off tube for the whole fermentation hurt the beer or should I just leave everything as is for the next month or so? thanks!

@IslandLizard post brings up a good point. I took a second look at your pictures and noticed the temperature strip on your fermenter appears to read 75 degrees which is warm for most ale yeast strains. Also, your temperature probe is not insulated so your temperature controller is reading the ambient air temp. Get some bubble wrap and tape it over the probe. I use a bubble wrap Amazon shipping bag because its what I had in the house. I also use a bungee cord because the tape was getting messy.
honestly I appreciate this so much. Im going to do this right now, I have a ton of that stuff in the basement from the wife Christmas shopping.

how long should I use a blow off tube? I came home and noticed fermenting is slowing down. should I swap back to a normal airlock? does having a blow off tube for the whole fermentation hurt the beer or should I just leave everything as is for the next month or so? thanks!
Once fermentation slows down you can replace the blow off tube with a regular airlock.

But some brewers leave the blow off tube in till the end. When doing that, just make sure the open end remains submerged a little under the sanitizer, so it forms an airlock and air can't get in. That's important!
But it shouldn't go into the sanitizer too deeply, due to risking possible suck back, especially when temps drop and during cold crashing.

The wider the blow off hose the more volume needs to be displaced/sucked up to start the unwanted (reverse) siphon. But the vacuum is powerful, I once sucked up a quart of blow-off Starsan into a 5 gallon batch of beer. Couldn't taste it though.

Last edited:
Back