My faucet keeps getting sticky. Have I set it up wrong or is this a common problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgillard1976

Reaction score
The "plunger" part on the front keeps getting clogged and sticky sometimes making it very hard to open the tap. Is it just me?

Cheap rear-sealing faucets suck for this reason. It is inevitable they get sticky unless used often. Best solution is to upgrade to forward-sealing faucets by Perlick or Intertap.

Pretty common with the "el cheapo" rear sealing faucets the come standard on most kegerators. Replace it with a Perlick, which is front sealing and eliminates the issue.

Last edited:
Seldom used front sealers get sticky too. You really have to have a good regimen when, for instance, you have 6 things tapped but end up not having any oatmeal stout for 9 weeks. You'll find you should have cleaned that sucker.

same here. With 14 taps, there are some that go months with no use. I have Perlick 650ss faucets, and they have never gotten stuck.

Before I standardized to the 650ss, I had 630ss, 525ss, 425ss, as well as original ventmatic forward sealing faucets, they all never stuck for me. Going to forward sealing faucets was one of the best decisions for serving for me.

Back