My failed Porter AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downhillfromhere

Reaction score
This is what happens when you aim to brew a porter and forget to get the the right malt... I was really confused why the beer wasn't darker until I realized I hadn't gotten the Chocolate Malt.

Here's my grain bill, what catagory would this beer fall under at this point?
(it was suppose to be a borderline Imperial Porter based off Denny Conn's Nick Danger Porter with an addition of Flaked Oats and some slight tweaking with the grain bill to fit my 1/2 batch brewing) Is this an Imperial Brown or something else? Thanks! This was my 1st AG batch as well.

2.75 Gallon Batch

6 1/3lbs Organic 2 Row
1lbs Munich 10L
.5 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt (which was omitted....)
.25lbs Special B
2oz Flaked Oats
1oz Black Patent Malt
and .25lbs Brown Sugar after I realized I forgot the Chocolate Malt to just mix something into it.

The Hops Schedule was
2/3 oz Tettnag (3.7AA) @1st Wort
1/2 oz Columbus/Tomahawk (14.6AA) @60min
1/2 oz Cascade (8.1AA) @10 min

Yeast Wyeast 1056

OG 1.072
FG Estimated 1.017
ABV 7.2%
SRM 20.5
IBU 58.8

I just plugged this into Brewtarget and it came out with an SRM of 13.6, which should be good for a brown ale. If you're not looking to enter it into competition, call it whatever you want, but I suppose (depending on the hop schedule) you could just call it a brown ale possibly some kind of scottish like a 90 schilling or similar depending on flavor.

Right, depending on the hop schedule, you could call it a Brown or a Texas Brown. The grain bill is close to Texas Tornado Brown.

The Hops Schedule was
2/3 oz Tettnag (3.7AA) @1st Wort
1/2 oz Columbus/Tomahawk (14.6AA) @60min
1/2 oz Cascade (8.1AA) @10 min

I'm expecting this to be a relatively sweet beer now without that Chocolate punch in it. Might turn out to be kind of cool. It's bubbling away really well now after 12 hours in the primary.

Back