My color is too light...not sure why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalynch4

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently made the jump to all grain, and overall I'm really satisfied with the final product. I have five batches under my new belt: an American Pale Ale, a pumpkin ale, an Amber, an oatmeal stout, and a British bitter. Each of these was pretty good, but each was lighter in color than it should have been-give or take 5-10 SRM. These were all kits from either Midwest or Northern Brewer.

On each batch, I'm pretty sure I hit my temps on the mash, and batch sparged them all with a mash out at 170. I put seven gallons in the pot, lost a gallon to the boil and left another half gallon in the pot after cooling, putting five and a half gallons into the primary.

I'm happy to post more information on recipe/technique.

Does anyone have any ideas why the color might be too light? Everyone's advice is much appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

Are you comparing the color to the extract beers you used to brew? If so they will look lighter since extract beers are generally on the dark side. Also if you are winding up with six gallons from a five gallon recipe (.5G left in kettle + 5.5G in fermenter) the beer will be diluted with an extra 20% water.

yeah not really a big deal. next time, try the exact same recipe that the kit came with. but instead of crystal 20, use crystal 40L, and then see if the color is better or darker for you.

Thanks, JM,

Give or take, all the batches turn out 5-10 SRM lighter than the standard for the style. For example, the oatmeal stout was more like a porter, and the amber was more like a pale ale (probably 12 or so SRM).

Back