My cold crash fear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosvineer

Reaction score
I have not cold crashed any on my beers for fear of not getting enough yeast into my bottling bucket.

What is a good length of time to cold crash? I don't want all the yeast settle out before racking

It won't settle out. Go ahead with a crash for at least a couple days. Bottle as usual. It WILL carb. I guarantee it.

^^ True.

If you cold crashed for a year or something, that'd be too long but it would probably still carb just really really slow. Week or so will do what you'd want for cold crashing and no harm done to your yeasties!

No worries.

Cold crashing for a few days or a week down to 36-38*F before bottling will give you a clearer beer and it will not affect the ability of the yeast to produce carbonation.

I cold crash darn near every batch now. Go for it.

I'm going to be bottling my first lager this weekend...been at 38 degrees for 5 weeks now. Should I warm it up to room temp for a couple days beforehand? The yeast won't have a problem carbing after that long?

*sorry for the hijack...i'd just been wondering*

I'm going to be bottling my first lager this weekend...been at 38 degrees for 5 weeks now. Should I warm it up to room temp for a couple days beforehand? The yeast won't have a problem carbing after that long?

*sorry for the hijack...i'd just been wondering*

Nope. Bottle it cold. When the beer warms up inside the bottles, the yeast will go to work on the priming sugar. It will just take a couple extra days to kick off.

Latest posts

Back