My Clearing Effort Didn't Seem To Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chays99

Reaction score
I brewed the AHS Greenbelt Pale Ale (mini mash) a little over a month ago. I really wanted to improve the clarity on this batch. I’m seeking feedback a little early as I have another batch that will be ready to keg this weekend. I was hoping for some pointers before kegging the next one.

Here’s what I did:

3/12/11 – Brewed and added Whirfloc (half tablet) during the last ten minutes of boil. Cooled wort in about twenty minutes with ice bath and transferred to primary
4/5/11 – Dry hopped per instructions (just tossed them in)
4/11/11 – Placed primary in keezer to cold crash (keezer temp was 40 degrees, not near freezing)
4/13/11 – Racked beer to keg, put in the keezer, and set/forget at 12 psi.
4/17/11 – Curiosity finally got me and I pulled a couple of test pints last night. Flavor was good. Clarity was bad. The first two pints were pretty murky. The third wasn’t as bad, but was not clear at all. I stopped at that point.

This was my first time to forego the secondary and just leave the brew in the primary for a month. Also, it was my first time to keg. Admittedly, I did pick up a little trub while racking to the keg, but I don’t think it was much.

Is there anything I should do different for the batch that will be ready to keg this weekend? I know that the kegged beer hasn’t been in the keezer very long, but I was hoping to not recreate this with the next batch.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back