My big stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

podz

Reaction score
Almost 4 weeks ago, I started two 20 litre batches of apple wine at 1.110 starting gravity. I kept one of them on top of my clothes washing machine, which is in use several times per week, and the other one in the same room on a stable surface.

The batch on top of the washing machine is now at 0.990 and the batch on the stable surface is still at 1.010.

Will be interesting to compare the two when the other one is finished and see if there are any major differences in outcome.

Chemically and strictly speaking, accelerated fermentation via suspended vs sedimented yeast will result in more fusels and more diacetyl production due to the altered metabolic function of the yeast.

What I am after in this experiment is to see if I think the difference is noticeable.

You may also want to measure the temperature (both maximum and ambient) above the washing machine.. That may not be the same as the temperature of the second carboy...

The space above the washing machine is actually slightly cooler (18c) than the rest of the room (21c) because there is an outside air vent right next to it. Running the washing machine does not change the temperature at all.

I can make the comparison as soon as the other batch finishes. This one anyway tastes like it could use some aging.

Back