My beers are completely undrinkable!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought of something, are you keeping your beers covered? I wonder if you are talking about a skunked/light struck taste. If you're getting imported beers in clear and green bottles maybe that's the issue? Grasping at straws here.

Im using darkbrown bottles only, tha green/transparent ones seems so fragile and im afraid of exploding beers.. I cant store them cellar cold but i have them covered with a black trashbag. to keep them covered and to protect the suroundings if theres an explosion...

Well, Heineken = skunky to me. I haven't had one in many yrs though. Your fermenters stay covered?

\About the temp. i have a stickertherm that is just laying on the lid of my fermenter... i only have one so i didnt want to paste it on the side and then have to get another one for next time...
Why would you need a new fermometer next time if you put it on the side?

Wondering that too. The idea is to stick it on the side below the liquid level so you're measuring actual fermentation temp, not ambient.

I bought 2 stickys, pasted one on the side, it fell of while i was cleaning the ferm. afterwards i couldnt paste it again, it wasnt sticky anymore...

so i thought, ok, these are only built to be used 1 time.

I made this hillbilly swimmingpool for the fermenter. Hope i can keep the temp abit lower than before.

image.jpg

Ive finally figured out what has happened to my beers! DMS!
I didnt know that you werent supposed to keep the lid on when boiling the wort. Too bad i have almost 9 gallons of beer in fermentation right now that has been covered during boil...

Has anyone got a suggestion of a way to get rid of some of that DMS taste?

Yeah, boiling with the lid is not a great idea:(
DMS is an issue and will yield off flavors associated with a cooked corn, vegetal flavor. I wish I could provide you some optimism but unfortunately that flavor will not go away and will actually get worse over time.

Keep in mind if you particularly use Pilsner malt, DMS is a larger issue, 90 minute boils are recommended to drive off the precursors or at least a very vigorous 60 minute boil, no lid:)

Ive finally figured out what has happened to my beers! DMS!
I didnt know that you werent supposed to keep the lid on when boiling the wort. Too bad i have almost 9 gallons of beer in fermentation right now that has been covered during boil...

Has anyone got a suggestion of a way to get rid of some of that DMS taste?

It is good that you got to the bottom of it.

Can i have the lid on the pot to get it to a boil and when it boils then take it off? It took a long time to get it to a boil now when i did it without the lid...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can i have the lid on the pot to get it to a boil and when it boils then take it off? It took a long time to get it to a boil now when i did it without the lid...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes:)

Sent from the Commune

Back