My beer cane out thick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jopeylegs

Reaction score
I brewed a German Rye beer a few weeks ago. I bottled it a week ago and tried one today. It was a thick consistency for some reason. Almost slimy but mostly just thick. Anybody know why it may have turned out this way? The only thing i did differently from the recipe (which I got out of the boom "brewing classic styles") was add extra malt. It called for 2.6 lbs and I used 3.3. Any advice would be great thanks!

Try another bottle and see if it was an off bottle? Maybe the cap didn't get seated and it molded or something.

Did you use maltodextrin? What was the recipe? Extra malt will give it more body, but it sounds like yours goes beyond that.

I personally find rye malt to impart big body in beers. If your rye percentages were significant then it could very well be the rye. In one beer using 15% rye malt it was REALLY full body (thick). I'd pour one from a keg and it you could see the bubbles floating to the surface in almost slow motion :D (it would take almost 10 seconds for the head to fully form from the pour)

How does it taste? Cloyingly sweet? Dry? Did you hit your FG? Also, if you're a pilsner, light lager drinker, you may not be used to a beer with fuller body. As others have pointed out, high % Rye can contribute considerable unfermentables and thus big time body that can be perceived as being "thick". If tastes good, I wouldn't worry. My concern would be the beer didn't finish fermenting out.

Back