My bazooka filters are less than ideal, batch or fly sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raisoshi

Reaction score
These are the bazooka filters I use on my keggle, they sit near the wall connected to a T shaped pipe, leading into the ball valve.

Used to do a manual fly sparge and get 70-80% efficiency into the kettle, but just purchased a HLT with a valve and a new mill and found my hydrometer was reading 4 points lower so just assume I don't know my current efficiency.

Would I get better efficiency with fly sparging or would channeling make batch sparge more efficient in my current setup? If I do batch sparge I plan on doing it in 3 stages(first runnings + 2 batches of sparge water)

DSCN3217.jpg

I think you'd probably be better off to batch sparge, especially if your going to take the time to do it in 3 batches. You can always work on getting a better false bottom later, and go back to fly if you want.

+1 for batch sparging. My initial keggle setup was almost identical to yours, with a T connected to the valve, and braided hose going from T post to T post. Fly sparging didnt work so well for me (def didnt get >70% efficiency). Batch sparging suited me much better until I picked up a false bottom and diptube from NorCal, in which I was able to go back to fly sparge.

Back