my basement is at 50f!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
My basement is staying at 50F . I have 2 stouts and a wheat beer in primary ,will they be ok? Also would this be a good temp for making a lager? The basement will stay at 50F for the rest of the winter.

It's a little cool for those ales. I've heard of some ale yeasts being used down to the mid-50s but you have to know what you are doing. It's also a bit warm to lager.

you can get +5 F with an incandecent lightbulb left on (Assuming you can buy them). And you can blanket the fermentor. These 2 things might get you up to good ferment temps

you can get away with fermenting a lager at 50 f (beer temp will be a little warmer but its doable). you will need to have a way to lager the beer though.

I have a room in the back of my house that is about 50 degrees. I'm lagering a beer right now. I have it in a tub of water with a bunch of frozen water bottles in it. The temp stays pretty steady at about 38 degrees so, it can be done.

Can I bring my lagers over to ferment in your basement?

I'd move your ales upstairs to a closet and consider fermenting a lager down there. You'll still need someplace colder for lagering after, but at least you can ferment cool.

At those temps more than likely your ale yeast is taking a nap til it gets warmer.

I use an electric heating pad under my carboy, a chunk of styrofoam under that, an eBay aquarium controller taped to my carboy, and sleeping bags around it all. Holds rock steady at what I want it to.

I have one area that is about 40F is that cold enough to lager?

The ales have been at 55F for several days now and most of the fermentation was done at 60ish,then it got cold out,,should I still move them or just rack em and bring em upstairs in bottles? they have been in primary for about 10 days 5 of them wear on the cold side.

I use a San Francisco Lager yeast. Works really well in the 50-60 range. It's very clean and neutral, imo.

Back