my 2nd attempt. i need some tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zactastic

Reaction score
hey guys and a few gals, im at day 17 on fermentation and ive noticed more bubbles since yesterday. there were plenty of bubbles day 1-4, then nothing, and at day 16 it seem to have sparked up again and started to ferment a second time... is that possible to have a late second fermentation? my roommate said he didnt disrupt the bottle and i didnt move it... maybe it got nudged an inch, who knows.

its a one gallon in the cabinet, room temp between 72-78 on any given day ( i live in Los Angeles)

not sure what the yeast was called. its Columbus and cascade hops added to the boil.

its a Brooklyn brew kit... the Everyday IPA. i followed the instructions to a T or so i thought

ive been reading that i should have a Hydrometer to get the SG and know when its done fermenting. also some say fermenting can go as long as 3 weeks so ill just have to go longer until its done bubbling?
edit: pictures are of day 17 today!

also, I did strain it really well, a 3rd time which is one more than the instructions said, is that much sediment normal? is it avoid able and how?

so many questions lol.

The sediment is normal. There's not a whole lot you can do about it. Your temps are a little higher than most of us would want.

I'm not too concerned that is off-gassing a little, but normally activity would stop in a week or so. Its probably nothing to worry about.

That's still quite a bit of krausen for day 17... Did the krausen fall then reform, or has it had that much on top the whole time? Changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure can cause CO2 to out gas even after fermentation is complete. Bubbles in the air lock are not a reliable measure of fermentation.

Also, as already mentioned, 72-78 ambient is little too warm for the best results. The fermenting beer can be several degrees warmer than ambient. Normally, you'd like to have the actual beer (not room)temperatues be in the mid to low 60s or so for the first few days. Ideal temps are dependent on the strain of yeast used.

One way to achieve this without a temperature controlled fermentation chamber is with a "swamp cooler". Stick your fermenter in a larger tub of water and use frozen plastic water bottles to keep temperatures down. A towel draped over the fermentor with one end in the cool water also helps with evaporative cooling. Stick-on thermometers (google "fermometer" for one example) can be used to monitor temps.

One way to achieve this without a temperature controlled fermentation chamber is with a "swamp cooler". Stick your fermenter in a larger tub of water and use frozen plastic water bottles to keep temperatures down. A towel draped over the fermentor with one end in the cool water also helps with evaporative cooling. Stick-on thermometers (google "fermometer" for one example) can be used to monitor temps.

Since you are doing 1 gallon batches it should be no problem to get your fermenting temps down to say 65 using a swamp cooler.

I agree- you have krausen (foam on top) so you're definitely not done. Wait until the top of the beer is as still and glassy as a morning puddle.

That's still quite a bit of krausen for day 17... Did the krausen fall then reform, or has it had that much on top the whole time? Changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure can cause CO2 to out gas even after fermentation is complete. Bubbles in the air lock are not a reliable measure of fermentation.

Also, as already mentioned, 72-78 ambient is little too warm for the best results. The fermenting beer can be several degrees warmer than ambient. Normally, you'd like to have the actual beer (not room)temperatues be in the mid to low 60s or so for the first few days. Ideal temps are dependent on the strain of yeast used.

the Krausen did fall and then return. I think the weather got warmer... also, when we are at work, the house temp can get around 78-80!!! arggg. i cant wait to move back to the SF bay area where it's 65-72 degrees inside most days.

I really appreciate that helpful advise. much respect. ya, ill try the swamping, fermometer. cheers...

and less Krausen today... i hope to bottle by thursday at day 20.

I can't imagine that it would still be fermenting on day 17, especially with temps in the 70s. You may have had a stalled fermentation but I'd say that's unlikely. You may just have gas coming out of solution. I've had that happen and still bottled it with no problems. Take a hydrometer reading 2 or 3 days apart and if the reading is still the same then bottle her up.

The bubbles look like the head on a beer. They're pretty uniform so it's probably just outgassing from your temperature swings. It's still very cloudy so I'd let it go another week and get it in a cool water bath to try to get that yeast to drop out.

BTW.. Love the background with the girl scout cookies and the Beef Jerky. Is that chipotle jerky????? MMMMMM jerky, beer and girl scout cookies.

I can't imagine that it would still be fermenting on day 17, especially with temps in the 70s. You may have had a stalled fermentation but I'd say that's unlikely. You may just have gas coming out of solution. I've had that happen and still bottled it with no problems. Take a hydrometer reading 2 or 3 days apart and if the reading is still the same then bottle her up.

thanks for the tips. probably just off gassing.

The bubbles look like the head on a beer. They're pretty uniform so it's probably just outgassing from your temperature swings. It's still very cloudy so I'd let it go another week and get it in a cool water bath to try to get that yeast to drop out.

BTW.. Love the background with the girl scout cookies and the Beef Jerky. Is that chipotle jerky????? MMMMMM jerky, beer and girl scout cookies.

ya it may have been from the temp swings. ill try the cool bath for sure.

Chipotle jerky from Ballast Point brewery (san diego) if i recall!!! haha, nice spot lol. :rockin:

update:
photos taken on day 20 of fermentation. temps have dropped in the evenings and now it looks ready to bottle.

I'd say you're good to bottle. Get a fermometer for your carboy and look into a swamp cooler for next time. You need it to ferment cooler

update:
photos taken on day 20 of fermentation. temps have dropped in the evenings and now it looks ready to bottle.

Damn, now there's Habanero Jerky. I'm pretty jealous.

That looks a lot clearer in that pic. Let that be a guiding post on when your beer is getting to the point of being finished.

Let us know how it turns out. Don't be discouraged by any off tastes early on. They can age out.

Damn, now there's Habanero Jerky. I'm pretty jealous.

That looks a lot clearer in that pic. Let that be a guiding post on when your beer is getting to the point of being finished.

Let us know how it turns out. Don't be discouraged by any off tastes early on. They can age out.

thanks, mate. they are bottled and ill be placing them in the fridge after 3 weeks. probably drink a week after that and ill let you know. :) cheers

It is hard to tell by the pic if the yeast were done or not, to me it looks like some has not settled out. Might want to put those bottles in something to keep the glass contained if you got bottle bombs.

Back