My 1st kit is underway: RdC Amarone - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khiddy

Reaction score
My first batch of kit wine has been underway since the start of the month (19 days now), and I thought I'd follow Jack's Extended Kit instructions. One thing he didn't list was the use of bentonite before pitching yeast, even though a packet was included and listed in the included kit instructions. So I left it out. Did I make a mistake?

The kit I am doing is the Reserve du Chateau Amarone, though I hold out no hope that it will be anything like a true Amarone, given that it didn't have a raisin pack and the SG was a mere 1.080, leading to an ~11% wine (whereas true amarones are 14%+). I sure wish I would've researched enough beforehand to know that it wasn't actually an all-juice kit, but rather a concentrate kit that had been reconstituted beforehand, but them's the breaks. I won't re-purchase this particular kit, I suspect.

Anyhow, my fermentation went OK, it's already at 1.000. I was planning to leave it in primary until day 30, as Jack instructs, and then proceed to secondary. Or should I just rack it now and move on from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
its fine just let it clear naturally you do not have to use bentonite

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm procrastinating working on a paper that's due tomorrow, so I think I'll rack some wine instead!

Back