Muy first imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nachopit

Reaction score
Hello everyone. tomorrow I want to do my first imperial stout. I want to get to a DI of 1100. What is the best way? any advice? I imagine it is a matter of boiling a long time ..... thanks.

Only one question before start. What is the optimal pre boil DI so that after boiling I stay 1100?

The pre boil gravity is dependent on the boil time. Some systems need to boil 3 hours to get to 1.100. On mine I mash 30 or so lbs and pre boil of 1.085- 1.090 and boil for 60 min. It wastes some grain but saves tons of time. If i have a buddy helping we run a second runnings wort on a separate burner for a completely different beer, and i end up with 10 gal in the end.

The pre boil gravity is dependent on the boil time. Some systems need to boil 3 hours to get to 1.100. On mine I mash 30 or so lbs and pre boil of 1.085- 1.090 and boil for 60 min. It wastes some grain but saves tons of time. If i have a buddy helping we run a second runnings wort on a separate burner for a completely different beer, and i end up with 10 gal in the end.
If you use 30lb how many water do you use for make de mash ? 2:1?, 2.5:1?....

Made a 1.096 Dupple Strong (screw styles) yesterday for barrel ageing using 26.5 lbs.(1 lb D-180 candi sugar going into fermenter) so 1.102 OG total. I used a 1 quart per pound strike ratio, rested for 60 min stirring 3 times(when thick you need to stir).Pulled bag and drained 3 gal from HLT over top,squeezed until just under 8 gal and boiled at 3500 watts for 60 min. Ended up with 5 gal in fermenter at 1.096. After the yeast and added sugar I should have 5.5 or a little more for the barrel,hopefully that's enough.

Made a 1.096 Dupple Strong (screw styles) yesterday for barrel ageing using 26.5 lbs.(1 lb D-180 candi sugar going into fermenter) so 1.102 OG total. I used a 1 quart per pound strike ratio, rested for 60 min stirring 3 times(when thick you need to stir).Pulled bag and drained 3 gal from HLT over top,squeezed until just under 8 gal and boiled at 3500 watts for 60 min. Ended up with 5 gal in fermenter at 1.096. After the yeast and added sugar I should have 5.5 or a little more for the barrel,hopefully that's enough.
Excuse my ignorance but how many (in litres and kilos) are 1 quart per pound? i usually use this units for my batches. Sorry and thanks again ;)

Very roughly speaking 1 liter = 1 quart. 1 lb is slightly less than .5 kg. So roughly 1 L per .5 KG
1 qt = .946 L
1 lb = .453 Kg

I have an app on my phone called “Units Plus” that is quick to make all kinds of conversions. Google works well also.

Back