Must try beers in Minnesota?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IffyG

Reaction score
I'm heading up to Minneapolis for a few days and wanted to see if there are any beers that I should actively seek out while I'm there. Anything Surly is already on the list of beer I want to try, but any other suggestions for things unavailable to me in the great beer desert of Nashville would be greatly appreciated.

I've been to Minneapolis a few times. A local favorite is Summit Extra Pale Ale, it's a decent beer. I'd head over to Matt's Bar for a Juicy Lucy (as seen on Man vs Food) and they have Bell's Two Hearted Ale on tap. I don't know if either of those are available in Nashville.

Depends on what you like drinking. Try a flight of everything Summit, Schell's, Surly of course, Fulton, Lucid, just to name a few.

From a St. Paul resident,

Flat earth is a great local micro. A lot of good stuff.

Just had a Saga on Monday. That's amazing. I'm not a huge fan of the EPA. But any of their unchained series is very good.

The Lake Superior stout is one of my favorites.

You already have surly. Furious is my fav.

If you have the means, Excelsior Brewery (brand new, opened this spring/summer) has an INTENSE IPA called bridge jumper. I love hoppy high ABV beers, but it took me a long while to get through it. Only open thurs, friday, sat, afternoon/evenings. About 30 min SW of MSP.

All I can think of off hand, I'm sure I'll think of more.

If you can find Brau Brothers Hopsession, it's an incredibly hoppy super pale ale. I second going to Town Hall and Fulton. Four Firkins is a great place for craft beer (it's in St. Louis Park) also Blue Max has a HUGE selection down in Burnsville.

I'll third (fourth?) Surly. If you have a vehicle, the Happy Gnome has a lot of great unique beers on tap, and I love the Muddy Pig as well. Barley John's has a couple of good beers.

We'll be hitting up Town Hall on Saturday, I'm pretty sure. That's one of my favorites.

Yooper said:
I'll third (fourth?) Surly. If you have a vehicle, the Happy Gnome has a lot of great unique beers on tap, and I love the Blind Pig as well. Barley John's has a couple of good beers.

We'll be hitting up Town Hall on Saturday, I'm pretty sure. That's one of my favorites.

I forgot Barley Johns! Their Old 8 Porter is tasty!

Are you in the cities? Are you looking to drink at brew pubs and breweries or buy stuff at the store or pub?

If you're just looking for great beer selections hit up a pub with good local taps and ask what's local on tap. A great option would be to hit up Town Hall Brewery - which is right across the street from Republic. Town hall is a great local brew pub and Republic has a great selection of local beers.

My favorite breweries to note - Surly, Steel Toe, Lucid, Brau Bros. There are a ton of tap rooms open as well. If you want to drink at a tap room I like Fulton, Harriet (best room in town) and Indeed is a spectacular facility and just opened.

Barley John's has amazing beer and great food.

Town Hall is a must for a meal and an ale.

Also, check out Indeed! I helped with some of the construction there this spring and their beer is fantastic. Right now they have a pale ale, black ipa, and their "summer shenanigans wheat" is brewed with my sister's Honey from new Montana! Tell Tom I said howdy!

Town Hall is a must for a meal and an ale.

Also, check out Indeed! I helped with some of the construction there this spring and their beer is fantastic. Right now they have a pale ale, black ipa, and their "summer shenanigans wheat" is brewed with my sister's Honey from new Montana! Tell Tom I said howdy!

I was at the tap room on opening night - spectacular place, beer was... fine. I'll be back and I'll certainly give them plenty of chances to dial things in. It's exciting to witness the craft beer explosion in Minnesota.

Very excited to hear good things about Indeed. An old friend of mine family owns I apparently. I need to pay a visit yet.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Are you in the cities? Are you looking to drink at brew pubs and breweries or buy stuff at the store or pub?

If you're just looking for great beer selections hit up a pub with good local taps and ask what's local on tap.

My brother lives in St. Louis Park and I'll have access to a car. I'm mostly looking for recommendations on any specific beers that I should absolutely try. In the past I've done the local bar thing and have found that the bartenders knowledge often leaves much to be desired. I thought if I got a short list from people in the know, I'd be in better shape than trying to figure it out on my own.

IffyG said:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

My brother lives in St. Louis Park and I'll have access to a car. I'm mostly looking for recommendations on any specific beers that I should absolutely try. In the past I've done the local bar thing and have found that the bartenders knowledge often leaves much to be desired. I thought if I got a short list from people in the know, I'd be in better shape than trying to figure it out on my own.

Well, in St Louis park, you'll be right next door to four firkins :). And steel toe brewery is located in st. Louis park as well. They have free tours and beer tasting at 6 and 7 pm on Fridays.

Weekend or weekday?

Go to steel toe, it's in St Louis Park.

Lucid is just west in Minnetonka - they do tours, no tap room yet, but sampling on site during the tours.

Pick an good beer bar and the staff will be good. Republic has had great staff and hosts beer events pretty regularly - the guys there know their stuff. Town Hall has well trained bar staff as well.

Fulton down town would be a fun stop - and Indeed would be just across the river. Harriet Brewing has the best tap room in the cities - live music Thurs to Sat, tasty belgian style beers.

If you're here in September there are beer related events pretty much every weekend.

If you are headed to the museum area, hit up Greatwaters. Very very good beer, nice area, and food is also good.

Barley Johns was quite nice, tiny, and we had a hell of a time finding it.
Blue Max has a great bottle selection, a little bit of everything.
Four Firkins is more of a specialty shop, find the rarities, but just a drinker could be slim pickings.

I love Twin Cities, and try to get there a few times a year, but with the kids in tow, it has been hard to get to every place that I want to get to.

Go to either Townhall or the Townhall Tap and get a Masala Mama! The 59th best beer in the world according to the Beer Advocate, and one of my favorites of all time...

Then go buy some Surly. Furious, then Bender, and if you can find it (not sure when it's coming out) Syx! I had some last weekend at the brewery and it was amazing for a 14% ABV beer!

In addition to all of the others already listed, I've been enjoying Lift Bridge Brewery's Farmgirl Saison. They're out of Stillwater, MN but distribute in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

You can't go wrong visiting the Muddy Pig in St. Paul. They've got a lot of selection and rotate it often. Here's their tap list http://muddypig.com/draft-beers.aspx Lots of MN beers there: Surly, Summit, Flat Earth, Liftbridge, Fulton, etc ...

MNDan said:
Then go buy some Surly. Furious, then Bender, and if you can find it (not sure when it's coming out) Syx! I had some last weekend at the brewery and it was amazing for a 14% ABV beer!

Syx was already released and gone from stores. I snagged one bottle that I'm going to age for a bit.

Oh yeah, The Muddy Pig in St. Paul has an awesome selection of beer and scotch.

Also, my buddy owns and is the chef at HauteDish in mpls, they have amazing food and a great beer selection including Surly, Fulton, Bells, and random others they switch in and out

Caucasian said:
Don't forget to hit up northern brewer!

Why go there? He will be staying in St. Louis Park, a stone's throw away from Midwest supplies. I prefer them for grains, since they charge for what you actually buy. If I buy .25 lbs of crystal 20 at NB, they charge me for a full pound. Midwest, they charge me for .25 pounds. Not a lot, but it adds up over time.

Why go there? He will be staying in St. Louis Park, a stone's throw away from Midwest supplies. I prefer them for grains, since they charge for what you actually buy. If I buy .25 lbs of crystal 20 at NB, they charge me for a full pound. Midwest, they charge me for .25 pounds. Not a lot, but it adds up over time.

Northern is doing partials pounds now. I always got rounded down anyway. :)

The new Northern Brewer store in Minneapolis is spectacular. Amazing classroom / brewing space and great staff.

I go to both places - but my go to is NB.

Well, if they're doing partial pounds now, I'll give them another shot. I get 10% off whether I go there or MW. NB is more convenient for me to get to at lunch time, and MW is on the way home. I retract my previous statement. :tank:

Well, if they're doing partial pounds now, I'll give them another shot. I get 10% off whether I go there or MW. NB is more convenient for me to get to at lunch time, and MW is on the way home. I retract my previous statement. :tank:

yup, you get a 10% for many things. I use my MPR membership - I'm way ahead on that $10 a month. :)

Latest posts

Back