Music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rponcejr

Reaction score
What music do you listen to while brewing. We do texas country indie and maybe some rap every now and again

I used to listen to the Classic Rock channel on itunes radio. But since they changed it to a pay service, I quit listening to them. Now it's just classic rock on my playlist.

Sometimes, though, I'll watch TV while the boil is going on, but prep and post boil is always classic rock.

EDIT: although Guns and Roses is now on Classic Rock, that's not what I'm talking about. Pre 1980s mostly.

Texas country is way up there, but I tend to listen to The Brewing Network or Basic Brewing Radio.

Sorry for the sort of off-topic post, but I want to ask about "Texas Country".

Because, my neighbor is a musician and he does "texas country". For my birthday, he takes me out to fellow musicians and we sign and stuff. I have a TERRRIBLE voice, but I love music (have all my life) and play instruments and have a great time.

So,here's my point. So, one time I was singing with some friends when they had an appearance (totally accidentally, I was on stage and somehow was singing and holding hands with Mona McCall but that is a very long story).

I know this Texas country stuff, and Ron (my good friend) sings lots of it from his days of appearing in ice houses in S. Texas in the 70s/80s/90s.

Last week, when we were sitting around drinking after an event with Darrel McCall, he played some songs I didn't know. He mentioned the artists name, but didnt' talk about it much. And it didn't bother me until just now! (And my singing still sucked, in case you were wondering).

He told me the guy played with Johnny Bush way back and was "Texas Country", but I swear I knew every single one! I did NOT know these songs.

If you guys know Texas Country, and could pass on some things I don't know to impress my friends in S. Texas, I would be ever so grateful.

I guess it would be described as country rock outlaw rock Willie Nelson Waylon Jennings and such. Randy Rogers band kasey Donahue pat green and such

Sorry for the sort of off-topic post, but I want to ask about "Texas Country".

Because, my neighbor is a musician and he does "texas country". For my birthday, he takes me out to fellow musicians and we sign and stuff. I have a TERRRIBLE voice, but I love music (have all my life) and play instruments and have a great time.

So,here's my point. So, one time I was singing with some friends when they had an appearance (totally accidentally, I was on stage and somehow was singing and holding hands with Mona McCall but that is a very long story).

I know this Texas country stuff, and Ron (my good friend) sings lots of it from his days of appearing in ice houses in S. Texas in the 70s/80s/90s.

Last week, when we were sitting around drinking after an event with Darrel McCall, he played some songs I didn't know. He mentioned the artists name, but didnt' talk about it much. And it didn't bother me until just now! (And my singing still sucked, in case you were wondering).

He told me the guy played with Johnny Bush way back and was "Texas Country", but I swear I knew every single one! I did NOT know these songs.

If you guys know Texas Country, and could pass on some things I don't know to impress my friends in S. Texas, I would be ever so grateful.

Well most of us really mean "red dirt country" when we say it, not that there's really much of a difference. I mean there's been a lot of music you didn't hear much outside of Texas, made there for a long time obviously. But, the type of music is heard and played anywhere you find "red dirt". Arkansas, Oklahoma places like that. As much as I love country music I can't really stand listening to Nashville stuff, it's like songs that are made on an assembly line and they all follow a pattern. Texas country is not as polished and all the artists are writing their own songs. You can go see your favorite red dirt superstar in a bar for 10 bucks and actually have a conversation with them after the show. I think that's more like how music should be.

There are virtually no radio stations that play Texas Country, aside from some actually in Texas. 95.9 The Ranch out of Mineral Wells is by far the best, and they play a 100% Texas Country format, the ONLY station to do so to my knowledge. Most will play some sort of mix, 70 Nashville 30 Texas something like that.

Some of the most popular places to hear this stuff like would be Stockyards, Billy Bob's, (both in Texas), the Wormy Dog in OK, and The Rev Room here in Little Rock. But you can literally find these artists playing at any hole in the wall. Jason Boland signed my guitar after playing a local outdoor show, and even played it a bit and showed it to his lead guitar player because he liked the grain of the wood.

Some artists to check out would be Cross Canadian Ragweed, (almost invented the genre) Jason Boland, Wade Bowen, Stoney Larue, Reckless Kelly, Pat Green, Josh Abbot, Chris Knight, Lost Immigrants, Turnpike Troubadours, and one of my personal favorites lately, Cody Johnson. Those are basically the main stream ones but there are so many, and some are pretty obscure. Ragweed split up and most of us still haven't gotten over it, kind of a running thing among Texas Country fans.

Red Dirt country has for some reason gained some popularity in the Midwest from what I understand, it's also really popular in Alaska, hah go figure! Blue Edmonson actually does, or used to make trips up there to perform.

Every once in a while a red dirt song will cross over to the Nashville charts, Wagon Wheels was one example, although Old Crow Medicine show popularized it in the red dirt world long before Nashville. A later one is El Cerrito place, geez I love hearing Robinson sing that.

This Texas Country Music Scene channel on youtube is pretty cool, it interviews an artist about a song then they do a nice little performance. Another is the Cluttered Closet I believe.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5_fbAH1D8[/ame]

I could go on about red dirt country all day, obviously I'm really passionate about it, but music in general too. I love jazz, blues, old gospel, classical and a broad range of styles. One of the things I love about red dirt is how many genres the style spans. There are really bluesy songs and some that borderline hard rock.

You could listen to a channel on Pandora just type in an artist name, but I recommend just downloading The Ranch 95.9's app, you'll learn more because you hear all the news and some good interviews in the mornings. I think the Texas Country Music Chart Countdown is Sunday nights.

Don't worry about your singing, it's just all about having fun and I can tell you when I play I don't care at all how well the people can sing that actually SING ALONG! That's the sweetest music ever.

We usually end up listening to lucero or jimmy eat world or maybe some bad religion. I just bought tickets to see Lucero play at Bells Brewery in a couple weeks.

Don't worry about your singing, it's just all about having fun and I can tell you when I play I don't care at all how well the people can sing that actually SING ALONG! That's the sweetest music ever.

Well, I did have the microphone pulled away from me- so there is that. :D I might have forgot to mention that it was a huge event, and somehow I was on stage.

My friends are mostly in and around San Antonio, but at Oysterfest in Fulton (near where we stay), those guys who come down come from Brady. His ice house was in San Antonio, and that's where they started playing together in the 70s. It was a ton of fun, and the band is really good with a bunch of super nice guys.

Anyway, thanks for all of the info. I will check it out!

I have quite eclectic taste, but usually on brew days I'm blasting 90s grunge/alternative!

Often times I'm listening to my current assignments for Music History, so it's been a lot of du Fay, Busnoys, and Binchois as of late. Other times, it's Nightwish.

(Does it really get much further apart than Renaissance Polyphony to 21st Century symphonic metal?)

Old folk tunes or bluegrass are some of my go-to's. Townes, Blaze Foley, Steve Earle, Guy Clarke, Old and in the way, Peter Rowan, Keller Williams, Dylan, Jorma, etc...

Sometimes I like to go with old 70 and 80's dub reggae. I'm a huge old school reggae fan. King Tubby, Lee Scratch, Tommy McCook, etc...

I also like to play my acoustic guitar when the boil is going. There's something about sitting outside on a nice day and playing for the birds and bugs to hear while makin some beer.

I usually brew on Saturday mornings, and I always have our killer college radio station on. From 6-9 on Saturdays, it's The Gearhead Show which is mostly late 50s/early 60s surf rock, car songs, etc and the host occasionally plays an hour worth of Black Sabbath just because. 9-noon is blues. Really good blues. Noon to 3 is the Saturday Afternoon Boogie Bang where they play old 80s rap with lots of old R&B, funk, etc. really awesome stuff.

I'm excited to take this Friday off and brew because Friday 9-noon is The Chicken Shack - 2 hours of great OLD country music followed by an hour of new and old rockabilly.

Depends on what's brewing. For American IPAs, I play some Grand Funk, or BTO, or Van Halen. For English Ales, maybe some Pink Floyd, or Led Zeppelin. For Belgian ales... Well, I don't know any Belgian musicians.

I like lots of different genres of music and beer and music seem to go hand-in-hand. I like prog metal and two of my favorite bands just released albums - Redemption - "The Art of Loss" and Circus Maximus - "Havoc." I like a lot of old R&B like Luther Vandross, Earth, Wind and Fire, etc. I also like 80s Hair Metal - Triumph, Scorpions, Ratt, Iron Maiden, etc.

I like lots of different genres of music and beer and music seem to go hand-in-hand. I like prog metal and two of my favorite bands just released albums - Redemption - "The Art of Loss" and Circus Maximus - "Havoc." I like a lot of old R&B like Luther Vandross, Earth, Wind and Fire, etc. I also like 80s Hair Metal - Triumph, Scorpions, Ratt, Iron Maiden, etc.

Ratt was actually a lot better than thought they would be. I wish I had checked them out in the 80's when they were popular.

I was kidding about my previous list. I'm pretty eclectic, but you could make a wise bet if you said Blue Murder, Euforquestra, Pistil Whips, Pink Floyd, That One Guy, Heatbox, Rhonda larson, any 80's pop or rock, Joe Satriani, etc.

Ratt was actually a lot better than thought they would be. I wish I had checked them out in the 80's when they were popular.

I was kidding about my previous list. I'm pretty eclectic, but you could make a wise bet if you said Blue Murder, Euforquestra, Pistil Whips, Pink Floyd, That One Guy, Heatbox, Rhonda larson, any 80's pop or rock, Joe Satriani, etc.

Warren DiMartini and Robin Crosby were very underated as a guitar-duo.:rockin:
Seen them a few time in the 80's and before Crosby died. DiMartini was a Satriani disciple.

We usually end up listening to lucero or jimmy eat world or maybe some bad religion. I just bought tickets to see Lucero play at Bells Brewery in a couple weeks.

+1 on Bad Religion. Streamed one of their live shows during my last brew session. Otherwise I'll stream NFL Redzone during football season.

Love Jimmy eat world love bad religion. Bouncing souls good too. Blink 182 is my jams though.

Usually Ozzy's Boneyard but next brew will be Skynyrd's Second Helping album front to back.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjJOwHTLZwc[/ame]

I always have music on always, brew day is no different. I'm all over the place, but I think last brew day was all Clutch.

I always have music on always, brew day is no different. I'm all over the place, but I think last brew day was all Clutch.

Nice! Saw Clutch for the first time a few months ago with Corrosion of Conformity, awesome concert!!!!:rockin:

+1 for Megadeth. Tool primarily but I also enjoy lots of metal, Meshuggah, Chimaira, Gwar, Cattle Decapitation, and System Of A Down.:rockin:

Ya'll might think this is strange since I'm a musician. But when I brew I prefer to not listen to any music or even talk radio. I read during the down parts and think of the whole process as kinda a Zen thing. Nice and quiet (except when I mess up something and then I disturb the quiet with my cursing.) :)

all the best to the homebrewing community!

Not strange at all. My mother is a retired music teacher/symphony violinist/string quartet musician and, when she was off the clock, she'd say "no more notes!" and would insist on having the car radio off in favor of blissful silence.

I also like to base my music choices around the style of beer I'm brewing. If I'm brewing an American-style beer it's usually Havok, Skeltonwitch, or Allegaeon. German beers bring out Destruction, Sodom, or Kreator. It's a little harder with Belgians, but I have a couple Aborted albums I enjoy.

Yooper,
Your close to my neck of the woods. Check out Luckenbach, 11th St bar in Bandera, Floores Country Store in Helotes, Sisterdale General Store, Hondos in Fredericksburg. Red dirt or brew talk on when I'm brewing.

I'm all over the place too. Recently been listening to Fat Freddy's Drop, Earthless, Causa Sui. Took some advice from an earlier poster and have been listening to Cross Canadian Ragweed and Stoney Larue tonight. Great tunes and would be great for an early morning brew day.

Latest posts

Back