Music Influences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpsetsBrewing

Reaction score
What kind of tunes do you guys listen to while brewing? I have a zine about local music and play in original bands from time to time in this city. We mostly listen to local Baton Rouge punk rock bands on brewing day and in return name the brew after one of our friends bands or songs. It's kinda neat to pay homage to my buddies in this way. What kind of influence do you think what you listen to while brewing plays in your recipe/naming the beer?

I am so damn lucky to have a local college radio station that is awesome. It's been around for 33 years, and they do things the old way - volunteer DJs get a 3-hour slot each week. And by saying "volunteer" I don't mean to suggest "amateur." The folks who host the shows have had the same show for like 20 years and they do it because they love it.

Having said that, I usually brew on Saturdays. 6-9 am is Dietrich with the Gearhead Show: usually 60s surf rock and rockabilly, but sometimes Black Sabbath and 60s novelty Halloween music because, Why not? 9-12 is Kevin with the Saturday Blues Drive. Killer blues and occasionally old honky tonk country. 12-3 is the Saturday Afternoon Boogie Bang - 3 hours of old rap, hip-hop, funk, and R&B: LL Cool J, Earth, Wind & Fire, Kool Mo Dee, Doug E Fresh, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Prince, etc. 3-6 is "Why My Head Hurts." 90s alt rock. Just freakin' killer. Jesus & Mary Chain, Ministry, KMFDM, Catherine Wheel, Midnight Oil, etc.

Opeth, followed by more Opeth.
when i get tired of the `heavy` Opeth i listen to the mellow Opeth.
Then as that wears on me i'll turn on the `acid rock influenced Opeth.
Then perhaps some Slayer and S.O.A.D. or perhaps R.H.C.P. and Alice in Chains.
Followed by more Opeth. :p

Opeth, followed by more Opeth.
when i get tired of the `heavy` Opeth i listen to the mellow Opeth.
Then as that wears on me i'll turn on the `acid rock influenced Opeth.
Then perhaps some Slayer and S.O.A.D. or perhaps R.H.C.P. and Alice in Chains.
Followed by more Opeth. :p

I bet the chics love coming over to help you brew:p

mellow opeth will come up on my Pandora channel, but I've always been a prog guy: Porcupine Tree, "mellow" Anathema, Rush, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Tool, Pink Floyd, etc.

Opeth's singer is big into Pork-tree, PT`s singer produces some of Opeths work and does some backing vocals. They also have a side project together.

Opeth's singer is big into Pork-tree, PT`s singer produces some of Opeths work and does some backing vocals. They also have a side project together.

Yep. Storm Corrosion is how I learned about Opeth. Damnation and Pale Communion make it into my playlists. I have a hard time with all the growling, but enjoy the musicianship on their other albums.

Unfortunately I think PT is done as a band, but Wilson's solo stuff is just as good or better than PT. He was able to surround himself with some amazing artists lately.

I believe in brewery superstition. I love having a little "voodoo" involved in brew day. At the "Bible Belt Brewery" beers all are named after things that bug me about church. The beer only turns out if AC/DC plays while the beer chills.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

While I'm cleaning and sanitizing I play "Kiss This" just keep playing on repaet. Then transfer to "Some Beach" while I set up. Switch back to "kiss This" as my wife is usually pissed from the music on repeat and she hates country music. During the brew it is all Jimmy Buffet. By the end wife is ready too kill from combination of music and she claims it smells like dirty wet socks while I'm brewing. Guess I need to quit using my wet dirty socks as hop and grain bags. But dang the beer tastes good so I will continue.

Sam Cooke, Ella Fitzgerald, DeRobert & the half truths, St Paul & the broken bones, Flying Lotus, Shigeto.

Bottling music is usually something bluegrass or other rootsy/Americana type stuff. Steeldrivers, Hooray for the Riff Raff, Cherryholmes, Punch Brothers.....

iPod and blue tooth speaker cranked up to 11. Phish and the Dead, FFDP and Slipknot, to Beasties and Nineties Gangsta rap, with a little Morphine and Grunge thrown in.

Jungle/drum n bass and/or Black f*cking Metal! I don't generally name my beers after music, usually some kind of movie quote. I have a Schwarzbier called "Liquid Schwarz!" and a black IPA called "None More Black", etc.

Actually I do have a Czech pilsner called "Czech my Brain" after the song on Alice in Chain's "Black gives way to Blue".

All of my beers are named after bands/songs except my Easter IPA, SonRise. This will continue until I run out of songs.

I listen to a lot of ska on brew day. My darker influenced music has too much negativity attached to it from the past and will just bum me out.

Streetlight Manifesto / Less Than Jake / Suburban Legends / Buck-O-Nine

Just some of my favorites. Ska just makes for a much happier day for me.

Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Sr & Jr for the morning brews, Offspring, Metallica, G N'R, AC/DC in the afternoon. Heck sometimes it is Classical, or Blues, just never ever never rap.

Only 3 batches in, but my Drive-by Truckers collection on shuffle has been my go-to for brewing.

My brew buddies and I have a victrola that one of us is designated to play tunes and crank all day. I dont know why, it just showed up one day.

If I'm brewing solo....... Dropkick Murphys always at the forefront.

I listen to AM sports radio. Sometimes they have music as a lead in to a segment. Does that count? If I'm brewing in the afternoon it's usually whatever game is on tv in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My brew buddies and I have a victrola that one of us is designated to play tunes and crank all day. I dont know why, it just showed up one day.

Your should check out my brewing playlist I've got a lot of good more traditional style irish music, I like the Tossers better than drop kick murphy's for irish rock you should check em out

Your should check out my brewing playlist I've got a lot of good more traditional style irish music, I like the Tossers better than drop kick murphy's for irish rock you should check em out

Latest posts

Back