Muscadine Wine time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stallion_371110

Reaction score
Ok fine wine folks! I have a green house 16x20 wrapped full of Muscadine and grapes. For the picking I need prayers! lol Plz. I have alot more fruit this year, I can't imagine in the next 2 years.
I am going for the recipe of:
5 cups fruit
3 pkg. yeast
3 gal. water
8 cups sugar
Thats for the 1st batch anyway this is for the sweet taste

Next batch recipe is:

5 cups fruit
3 pkg. yeast
3 gal water
8 cups sugar
I'll let it sit and do its thing for 6 weeks then
I add more
3 pkg. yeast
16 cups sugar
This is for the sour grape taste

:ban:
Wish me luck!!!!!I will need it. Got a lot of picking to do. God bless hope everyone else's crop turned out as good as mine.

Good luck with your grape wine!
How do you handle the sour grapes?
I have beautiful crossbred grapes (I think Isabelle) but the acid level was slightly high last year and the wine is a bit sour one year later.
I'm thinking of reducing acid with Potassium Bicarbonate this year...not sure if that's the best method.

I don't do "cups" with winemaking, as I go by weights by I think your recipe is suspect. You wouldn't need three packages of yeast, unless you are making 18 gallons. If you're making 18 gallons, you need far more than 5 cups of fruit!

Your volumes are not correct. You've got too much yeast, too much sugar (possibly), not enough grapes, etc. Your second recipe has WAY too much sugar.

Try a better recipe, and make sure you have a hydrometer on hand so you don't add too much sugar and stall the fermentation.

This recipe is much better (one gallon size, scale up by multiplying everything except the yeast- one package of yeast is good for up to 6 gallons of wine):
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp (I like the first one).

Muscadines are ACIDIC, so make sure to follow the directions below the recipe for reducing some of the acid if necessary!

Is there another link? That one isn't working for me, I get an odd msg about not having enough storage ...

Is there another link? That one isn't working for me, I get an odd msg about not having enough storage ...

I had the same problem with his link. I know he has just swapped servers and there have been some bugs but think everything is working now. He has some really great info on making wine at home. I recommend going to his website "The Winemaking Homepage" and just start reading. It's all good.

Sure, wine is good for you but I just drink it because it's good.

Latest posts

Back