Munton's Docklands Porter Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAbeergeek

Reaction score
So my first brew was a Munton's pre-hopped docklands porter kit. OG = 1.057 pitched Lallemand Nottingham ale dry yeast. Had great fermentation. Used primary fermenter only and let ferment for 2 weeks total. FG = 1.015 after 3 readings each 1 day apart from one another. I have now bottled it and it had been in bottles for 3 days with a plan to keep in bottles for 2 weeks and then chill.

Is this enough time in bottle to try to chill then drink or do I keep I'm bottle longer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The general rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70-75 to carb up the beer. After 2 weeks maybe take 1 bottle and refrigerate it for 2-3 days and drink that. Check the carbonation level, does it taste green, are the flavors all mellowed together or are there strong flavors that dominate. After 3 weeks try the same experiment and keep checking weekly until you are happy with the carbonation levels and flavor profile. At that point it's best to chill the beer in the fridge for drinking. I find the beer tastes best after being in the cold for 1-2 weeks.

Thank you I will put 1 in after 2 weeks it is upstairs now in my office usually runs around 70 up here so I am guessing that should be good right?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

70 is a good temp to carbonate beer at. Carbonation temps range from 70-75. Bottle conditioning below that will result in longer conditioning times.

Really try to wait at least 3 weeks before chilling them. Most people here would say 2 weeks to see any carbonation, and after 3 weeks the CO2 will get forced back into solution. Given that this one is a porter, it might be good to let it age in a cool dark place for a couple months.

Back