muntons canadian ale advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanyork

Reaction score
So I picked up some muntons Canadian ale in the can. I also picked up some Nottingham yeast. If you were I, how would you make it awesome? Without spending to much money of course. Anyone have experience making this ale?

I've made it many, many times. My only advice would have been on the yeast. I find that S-23 lager yeast, even fermented warm, gives it a nice smooth flavor.

Apart from that, an ounce of a good European hops like Pilgrim or Brewer's Gold put into primary can really open up the nose and flavor.

What do you mean by open up the nose? I've used that yeast in a fiesta kit, it does work really well. So do you think I should head back to the lhbs and swap out the nottington? And on the dry hops, you just drop in one ounce? Is it blended up? I've never used dry hops before.

If Nottingham and safale 23 are the same yeast strand is there really much of a difference between them in quality?

So sorry for the delayed response! By open up the nose, just meant adding a bit of complexity and hop aroma. For ease of use, I would just take 1oz of hop pellets and dump them into the fermenter towards the end of fermentation.

Nottingham and S-23 are very different strains. Both are going to work well, and produce a good beer. I would just prefer the flavor profile of the S-23 as opposed to the more neutral profile of Nottingham.

Ahh yes. I actually ment s-05 not 23. But I took some of the yeast cake from my last batch with s-23 and put that in. I also hydrated the Nottingham and used that too. I added to much sugar to the watch so its not going to turn out very good. But maybe I'll still add in the 1 oz of hops when I transfer it to secondary

Back