Munich saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
I love to experiment and I will often buy yeast strains with no idea of a recipe untill afterwards. So I am thinking of making a saison with either solely or mostly munich malt. I was thinking of using perle or hallertau hops also solely or mostly. Any feedback would be appreciated. I will be using WLP568 belgian saison blend and I have quite a variety of malts and hops lying around.

It will convert itself, but will be be pretty thick. Saisons are more of of light lawnmower beer, but you never know. Just be aware the saison yeast stalls out then picks back up again a few days later. Ferment warm. I had og 1.065, stalled out at 1.040, then picked back up. Also a good time to add some brett.

It will convert itself, but will be be pretty thick. Saisons are more of of light lawnmower beer, but you never know. Just be aware the saison yeast stalls out then picks back up again a few days later. Ferment warm. I had og 1.065, stalled out at 1.040, then picked back up. Also a good time to add some brett.

I was going to make it with an OG of like 1.040-1.050. Nothing very strong, but obviously different from your average saison.

I've done something similar, and plan to again soon. Worked out well for me, regardless of whether other people say it's a "saison". Mash for higher attenuation (145F). Adding 5-10% rye is a good compliment to munich and the yeast. I like munich+rye with citrusy hops - Hallertau might be more that than Perle. Good brewing and let us know how it turns out.

I thought munich malt contributed malty flavor, but not really much more than standard pale or pilsner malt in terms of body? At least that's what the malts chart says...

If that's the case and you do a straight munich I would just expect a malty tasting, light bodied saison. If I were you though, I would add a few lbs of pilsner malt to help with the lower diastatic power of the munich malt and ensure you do get complete conversion...

I thought munich malt contributed malty flavor, but not really much more than standard pale or pilsner malt in terms of body? At least that's what the malts chart says...

If that's the case and you do a straight munich I would just expect a malty tasting, light bodied saison. If I were you though, I would add a few lbs of pilsner malt to help with the lower diastatic power of the munich malt and ensure you do get complete conversion...

cool cool. I got some 6 row I can add for good conversion, but I've never had a problem with munich or vienna converting.

I've done something similar, and plan to again soon. Worked out well for me, regardless of whether other people say it's a "saison". Mash for higher attenuation (145F). Adding 5-10% rye is a good compliment to munich and the yeast. I like munich+rye with citrusy hops - Hallertau might be more that than Perle. Good brewing and let us know how it turns out.

I'll give it a try. I also have cascade and centennial. Maybe centennial for bittering and hallertau for aroma/flavor.

I'm curious what your gravity looked like. How long are you fermenting for? I'm facing a bit of a malt shortage and am contemplating heavily subbing munich for 2-row. If you don't mind sharing, what did your recipe look like in the end?

7lbs of munich malt
1lb of 6 row
mashed at 148 for 60 minutes
1oz of hallertau at 60 minutes
1oz of hallertau at 10 minutes

It fermented very quickly actually.
OG 1.48
FG 1.13

I have made several beers with only munich or Vienna or both and they all came out just fine including a faux german alt using WLP001 and cold conditioned for 3 months after a month in the primary.

sounds interesting.

There aren't really any strict rules to saison, 100% munich is a fun twist, I bet it'd be tasty with a saison yeast. Mine had pilsner, wheat, and vienna malts with a little bit of sugar.

To revive this topic, I brew last summer Saison with 93% of Munich and 7% of table sugar, with only flavor hops on 15 minutes (35IBU). Yeast was BE-134 (my favorite summer yeast) on 30'C. OG=1.046/FG=1.008

The beer was great, among the best I brew. Certainly the best Saison.
It is now fermenting a darker version with the addition of chocolate malt. I believe it will be just as good if not better.

I certainly recommend.

To revive this topic, I brew last summer Saison with 93% of Munich and 7% of table sugar, with only flavor hops on 15 minutes (35IBU). Yeast was BE-134 (my favorite summer yeast) on 30'C. OG=1.046/FG=1.008

The beer was great, among the best I brew. Certainly the best Saison.
It is now fermenting a darker version with the addition of chocolate malt. I believe it will be just as good if not better.

I certainly recommend.
How did the chocolate malt work out? I like the idea, might try that myself. Golden promise and munich with a bit of UK chocolate, mandarina hops.

How did the chocolate malt work out? I like the idea, might try that myself. Golden promise and munich with a bit of UK chocolate, mandarina hops.

Perhaps chocolate malt would be good with the standard combination for Saison, pilsner and wheat malt. It is my opinion that in this version of mine, all munich Saison chocolate would give too much malty beer.

Back