Munich Helles water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I recently did a Wards Lab test and the results showed I have a very useable supply. In fact, a buddy said my water looked really close to Munich (Boiled).

I plugged Munich boiled into Bru'n water and it looks like I add very little adjustments. Ca 18, SO4 20, CL 10 meaning I almost use my water straight up. I will need a fair amount of Lactic acid for a 5.45 with the Helles grain bill.

In keeping with a traditional Munich Helles, will I be ok to use the Munich boiled profile? THANKS!!

Forger about profiles. Absent the alkalinity and hardness Munich water is pretty mineral free. As long as your water has less than about 1 mEq/L alkalinity (50 ppm as CaCO3) your other numbers look good. You will still require acid to the extent of about 90% of the alkalinity e.g. if you have 1 mEq/L alkalinity you will need about 0.9 mEq/L acid.

My personal opinion which I know for a fact is probably going to start some **** is don't worry about your water profile. Really unless your doing an IPA does it really seem to matter but even then I don't treat my water for IPA"s either. I have a very simple potable water hose with a filter on it and I brew everything with it.

I have been to almost every brewery in the DFW area and you will see everything from...brewers doing nothing at all...to having a million dollar water filtration system. Ive asked all the brewers their opinions on the water profiles and you get REALLY mixed opinions.

On our scale...as homebrewers I don't see the point. Also the most interesting advice I got was from the brewer at Franconia he said he puts the water in his kettle the night before and leaves it in there around 150 and by the next day it softens the water..and thats the most "treatment" he really does...

What I use..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX87S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ME11FS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Forger about profiles. Absent the alkalinity and hardness Munich water is pretty mineral free. As long as your water has less than about 1 mEq/L alkalinity (50 ppm as CaCO3) your other numbers look good. You will still require acid to the extent of about 90% of the alkalinity e.g. if you have 1 mEq/L alkalinity you will need about 0.9 mEq/L acid.

Thanks AJ. I pretty much came to that conclusion after evaluating my Ward Lab results and doing some reading. Pretty much all my water needs is lactic acid to get my ph where it should be. EXACTLY as you said.

I can't speak for other brewers, but I have approached my brewing skills learning process in stages. Learning the basics about malts and sugars, yeasts, temps, etc came first. Process came next...ie, BIAB, 3V systems, all extract. That led me to equipment like kettles, burners, fermenters, kegs, freezers w/ temp controllers...on on on. FINALLY, I have not focused on water and what makes the beer great. Yep, 90% of the finished product has been overlooked. I think most teachers work on a tiered approach thinking before you run you need to walk, before you walk you need to crawl. Water became my graduate level studies even though I made some pretty darn good beers using straight up RO water. BUT, to score the big (finesse) points, water adjustments make something good into something great. Thanks for the help!!!

Just my .02

My personal opinion which I know for a fact is probably going to start some **** is don't worry about your water profile. Really unless your doing an IPA does it really seem to matter but even then I don't treat my water for IPA"s either. I have a very simple potable water hose with a filter on it and I brew everything with it.

I have been to almost every brewery in the DFW area and you will see everything from...brewers doing nothing at all...to having a million dollar water filtration system. Ive asked all the brewers their opinions on the water profiles and you get REALLY mixed opinions.

On our scale...as homebrewers I don't see the point. Also the most interesting advice I got was from the brewer at Franconia he said he puts the water in his kettle the night before and leaves it in there around 150 and by the next day it softens the water..and thats the most "treatment" he really does...

What I use..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX87S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ME11FS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks! Do you feel this filter is beneficial removing chlorine?

I plan to order these items.

EDIT: Items ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal opinion which I know for a fact is probably going to start some **** is don't worry about your water profile. Really unless your doing an IPA does it really seem to matter but even then I don't treat my water for IPA"s either.

Pretty bad advice, IMO. Some locales have water that is absolutely unsuitable for brewing. Just because you can get away without treating your water doesn't mean that everybody can. And certain styles are EXTREMELY dependent on water.

Have you ever tried coming up with a water profile for a specific beer? If you haven't, then you really don't have a frame of reference. You might be surprised at the results.

Pretty bad advice, IMO. Some locales have water that is absolutely unsuitable for brewing. Just because you can get away without treating your water doesn't mean that everybody can. And certain styles are EXTREMELY dependent on water.

Have you ever tried coming up with a water profile for a specific beer? If you haven't, then you really don't have a frame of reference. You might be surprised at the results.

I am really learning about water, and of course all water sources are different as you mentioned. EVEN a "lab tested" water source like mine can change with the seasons. One thing I sorely missed out on as a novice was water ph. I had no clue about that before I started reading and my source water was 7.7. Adding in my light grain bill, I was still darn near 5.7-6 ph. My mashing efforts were not being fully maximized with this unadjusted mash ph. Now that I can figure in water chemistry, lactic acid additions, SO4 to Cl ratios.....my beers have taken on a new personality. Like I said....from good to great! I bet not many brand new brewers have a clue of the science involved in brewing. I mean to FULLY understand the nuisances takes lots of time and brewing experiences. Then, we still have an amazing amount of informaton to still learn.

I was expecting this type of response...as I stated you get very mixed reviews about this topic.

I guess the way I see it is this....my beer taste good..some of them including a certain IPA I made was even great..so I'll continue my process and leave the water to the other guys who need it.

Thanks! Do you feel this filter is beneficial removing chlorine?

I plan to order these items.

EDIT: Items ordered.

To be honest and fair with you, I am only going by what the product advertises which says it does reduce chlorine, however; I have never done any testing to see to what degree or if it really works at all. The only thing I do know is I use this setup and my beer taste good so I will continue to use this which is why I suggested it, b/c its fairly cheap.

To be honest and fair with you, I am only going by what the product advertises which says it does reduce chlorine, however; I have never done any testing to see to what degree or if it really works at all. The only thing I do know is I use this setup and my beer taste good so I will continue to use this which is why I suggested it, b/c its fairly cheap.

Agreed. I have always been skeptical of using my garden hose to fill my boil kettle. I have great municipal tap water for brewing as confirmed by Ward Labs and the chlorine is not detectable. I still treat the water for chlorine but I think this filter will help remove at least some of it.

The combo of the hose and filter is something I wanted to get and your link pushed me off the fence. I wanted a food grade hose and filter since using a garden hose that is used for general use is not such a keen idea. I'll use this hose specifically for brewing and store it so it doesn't get used for other purposes. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back