Multiple Steeping Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamos6928

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of brewing my third extract homebrew and I have what is probably a stupid question. My first two brews had only one steeping grain but my next brew, an Irish Red Ale, has 5. the total amount of grains is 2 1/4 pounds. Do I put all of these grains in one grain bag or do I need to use separate bags?

Yes. Either way works. If the bag is too small to fit all of them then a separate bag can be used. When I do all grain brewing all the grains go into one bag (BIAB). Some people use more than one bag for that too. It all makes beer.

Just make sure there is enough room in the bag that they aren't packed tight when they swell from absorbing water. If they are packed tight, you may not get all the goodness from them.
If one bag is too tightly packed, that may be reason to go to two bags, but there is no problem with combining them. We all-grain brewers mix all our grains in the mash.

Back