Multiple runs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coriba

Reaction score
I ran 54 litres of 4% plum wine and got about three litres of alcohol from a stripping run. Some of it smells just like Slivović. Not too bad. I’ve got another 12 litres of of plum wine just finishing the ferment. Should I combine the stripping run alcohol with the new plum wine and strip it again? Then run a spirit run?

I think I’ve read about this before but to be honest I’ve read so much I can’t remember some of it.

How many distillations, combinations, with or without backset can quickly dive down the rabbit hole. Personally with fruits I like doing 1.5 runs with 70% distilled and 30% ferment, and adding backwash is optional. But this is something short of rocket surgery to me, I go totally with my senses, and that's sketchy at times...

So I finished this run and blended It for a total of 1.75 litres after dilution to 40%. It is delicious. Lots of plum flavour, very smooth. Probably could have used a bit more of heads and tails, but really nice tipple.

I left half clear and added some toasted oak chips to the other half. How long to age this and does it really age inside a corked glass bottle? In the absence of a barrel and once the oak essence is extracted from chips, is there any other aging that happens?

Does this 1.5 type run work with whisky? Or is only best with fruits?

Back