multiple kegs on one faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
Anyone serving multiple kegs on a single tap without switching lines?
I know could just switch the liquid out line between kegs, but I was thinking about running the liquid out from two kegs into a Y, with a check valve and ball valve on each line, and have that feed the faucet.

Seems like when one ran out you would have a path of least resistance situation.

That's where the check valve would come in.
My big question is, if having a couple extra connectors in the line, even if sized properly, would cause cavitation in the fluid.

How many kegs? And what about a picnic tap for the ones not on the one tap. You will have beers mixing also or you will have to dump every time you switch beers.

I recall seeing a post about someone daisy chaining kegs for a wedding so he did not have to mess with kegs so much.

Last edited:
How many kegs? And what about a picnic tap for the ones not on the one tap. You will have beers mixing also or you will have to dump every time you switch beers.

I am definitely not dumping beer. What do I care if I get a half an ounce of pale ale in my amber ale? If I remember correctly, there is something like 1/6 of an ounce per foot on a 3/16" line. If I put the Y just behind the shank, I anticipate the mixing to be minimal anyway.
And picnic taps are somewhat prone to fail from what I understand.

Right now I have 8 kegs in a keezer, with 4 taps. So it would just be two kegs per tap.

To answer your question......it is plausible. I see no issues that you may have if you just make the check valve able to hold the pressure, which I assume it will, and make the switch fast so you don't have one keg moving liquid to the other. But even then it would be a small amount and as long as the beers are not a sour and a stout, I think you will be fine.
You could even get more inventive and put a switch on the outside near the tap to switch the lines.....

You could even get more inventive and put a switch on the outside near the tap to switch the lines.....

I was actually thinking about that. The idea came from utility, but there would be a bit of a cool factor to have a throw switch on the outside to switch between kegs.

So I've been thinking about this and I THINK if you were to hook the kegs up in parallel with a tee fitting and also have the CO2 pressure equalized in both kegs by using a tee, they would both drain down at the same time. Gravity will equalize the liquid level provided the kegs are at the same height. Maybe I'm way off?

I am definitely not dumping beer. What do I care if I get a half an ounce of pale ale in my amber ale? If I remember correctly, there is something like 1/6 of an ounce per foot on a 3/16" line. If I put the Y just behind the shank, I anticipate the mixing to be minimal anyway.
And picnic taps are somewhat prone to fail from what I understand.

Right now I have 8 kegs in a keezer, with 4 taps. So it would just be two kegs per tap.

If you put the y right behind the shank, then you should expect foamy pours. Any turbulence from a sharp bend or change in diameter will cause CO2 to come out of solution.

All the raspberry pints guys running flow meters can attest to this. They found that mounting the flow meter mid way or closer to the tap and they got foamy pours. If they mounted it close to the keg so there was 10 or so feet of hose between the meter and the tap, then the CO2 had time to settle back into the beer for a better pour.

Back