Multi step mash ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
I'm using a local malt houses 2 row and wheat. I'm running into some new issues for me. One is that it is floor malted and under modified. So I chose to do a protein rest. I'm not sure how to adjust the ph when doing multi step. I have a cooler so I do infuse water for my steps.

My question is do I not worry about the ph for the protein rest and just adjust as usual for the ph of the main mash to hit my target ph?

Thanks!

When doing step or decoction mashing one simply sets the pH in the desired range at dough in irrespective of whether that is dough in in the cold, at a beta glucan rest, a protein rest or a saccaharification rest. The pH will change from step to step (usually increasing but sometimes decreasing) but the change is usually small.

I too like a protein rest as I use Belgian Pilsner malt that is modified at the lower end of the well modified malt scale with 20% or so unmodified wheat and oats. But in addition I like that you get a chance to verify the pH before the Saccharification rest. As A.J. advised, I just shoot for 5.4 mash pH but usually end up at just below 5.3 at 130F and it rises to ~5.4 as the temp is increased. This is great because I have read that the optimum pH range for the protein rest is 4.2-5.3. http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/how-the-mash-works/the-protein-rest-and-modification

Back