Multi-colored krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy2000

Reaction score
Saturday afternoon I brewed an all grain batch, using 75% 2-row malt and 25% wheat malt. I pitched it with Safbrew T-58 dry yeast.

It started pretty quickly; by Sunday morning the air lock was bubbling away and I had a 2" layer of fluffy white foam on the wort. But today (Monday) the airlock is almost inactive - and there's a dark brown, heavier-looking foam that started on one side and is spreading and taking over from the fluffy white stuff.

Is this normal? Or do I have an interesting science experiment going?

I get different colored bits and stuff all the time... Most of the time its normal tan foam with brown bits here and there. I think the brown bits are called braun hefe but I could be wrong with my terminology. Give it some time... if it gets a furry skin and furry bubbles, its infected. If after a few days it tastes seriously off, its possibly infected. Give it time, and taste it.

Picture please if you can.

From the description it sounds like normal yeast activity. A picture would be most helpful for confirmation.

Picture please if you can.

From the description it sounds like normal yeast activity. A picture would be most helpful for confirmation.
Tried to get a picture, but the SD card in my camera took a dump. The camera keeps insisting it needs to be formatted, and my laptop doesn't even see it. Ah well...

The heavier brown stuff pushed the white foam out of the way, and pretty much took over. But it's a thin layer and looking skimpy, and I don't see any air lock action. Of course, it's a pretty low gravity beer to begin with; maybe it's just mostly done. I'll give it a full week, and pull a sample.

I wouldn't worry, if you followed you sanitation procedures correctly. I've seen krausens that look amazing and healthy, I've also had my share of some that the devil himself wouldn't take a second glance.

Do you see a difference in the height of the foam on top? Usually, I see a pale foam on top at the beginning of fermentation and after a couple days, the foam changes colour because it gets compacted (more dense). That could be the issue. Seems stupid but it is the only thing I see here if its not an infection.

Maybe trying to take a picture with the cell phone? :)

Do you see a difference in the height of the foam on top? Usually, I see a pale foam on top at the beginning of fermentation and after a couple days, the foam changes colour because it gets compacted (more dense). That could be the issue. Seems stupid but it is the only thing I see here if its not an infection.

Maybe trying to take a picture with the cell phone? :)
First I got a fluffy white layer of foam. But instead of darkening and compacting, it just got pushed aside by a brown, compact foam that started on one side and spread across the top. I tried to take pictures of what's there now (it's pretty ragged, skimpy and lumpy looking), but had no real luck through my tinted carboy.

But I just pulled a sample, and it smells and tastes fine. On the other hand, my OG was 1.030 - and today's sample was only at 1.020, after being in the fermenter since Saturday afternoon (six days ago). So fermentation seems to be proceeding at a glacial pace, if it's still going....

Guess I'll just relax and have a homebrew. It's a little early to dig into the last batch (I just bottled it 12 days ago), but I guess it can't hurt to check on its progress. :)

edit: the only thing I really have to compare this to is that last batch. I pitched rehydrated Belle Saison in it; it went ballistic on me within hours and put on a show for several days. So I may have unrealistic expectations, considering I pitched Safbrew T-58 dry this time into wort with a lot lighter OG.

Day ten: over the last couple of days, the original white, fluffy krausen made a startling comeback. It isn't very deep, but it covers the whole surface and seems to have swallowed up all the skimpy brown gunk.

Still smells and tastes clean, and the hydrometer reading is now 1.010. So it's been progressing, even though I haven't seen airlock activity. On the other hand I've been studying up, and now have a laundry list of things I did wrong on this batch - including but not limited to pouring the water into the grain instead of vice-versa, and not stirring enough to ensure a consistent temperature throughout. My boil was closer to a simmer for much of the time because I was on a stove top, until I straddled the kettle between two burners... and I think I've already mentioned my problems with a stuck sparge.

My learning curve would probably be smoother if I had an experienced brewer hanging over my shoulder, or had at least watched one in action. It's similar to the problems I ran into when I started building wooden boats in the middle of the desert, started building my own Jeep, and started working on my own guns with no formal training or supervision. But I'm getting there in all those areas.... and I can't complain that they haven't provided interesting rides.

Next time I'll try batch sparging, and do a lot more stirring. Hopefully I'll remember to fetch my old outdoor burner (built using a restaurant wok burner) from the other house, so I'll have more heat control - and more heat. I'll go for a specific style and use an established recipe, instead of just winging it.

Meanwhile I decided that although it's doing better, this batch is still headed for a ridiculously low ABV. And since I built it, I get to break it if I want. So although I might have been better advised to just leave it alone, I decided to add some simple syrup and see what happens. I actually started out to make homemade candi syrup. But I dissolved the C & H cane sugar in too much water, and didn't have the patience to boil it down.

I'm predicting a rather one-dimensional, light and somewhat dry beer, where the hops stand out because there's less maltiness to balance them (although I've been wrong once or twice in my life). If that's what I get, I'll keep it to myself and drink it young, while waiting for my last batch to age and my next batch to be ready. :)

I'm back to two-tone krausen. The level in the carboy is lower than it was at the beginning, because I've taken two sample. But after I added sugar, the fluffy white stuff built up enough to reach the original line - and the brown stuff started at the exact same spot on one side, and started spreading. This time the white stuff is fighting back, and the brown hasn't taken over yet. And again, the brown is a lot denser than the white stuff - which is almost frothy.

I think I've figured out what's going on: when I cleaned the carboy after my last batch, I must have left a little speck of Belle Saison stuck to the inside of the carboy. Belle Saison is a very active yeast, that produces brown krausen. So whenever the speck gets wet, I get brown krausen spreading from it; the rest of the time I get white krausen from the Safbrew T-58. Although this brown stuff looks a lot denser than the Belle Saison krausen on my last batch; maybe I just have a wild yeast doing its thing instead. Or maybe the Belle Saison mutated.

Very strange looking. But as I said earlier, both samples have tasted fine. So I'm not going to worry if the two types of yeast want to duke it out... looks like whichever one wins, the job will still get done. :)

The carboy is tinted a pretty dark blue; it's hard to get good pictures through it. In spite of how it looks in the picture, the white part is just as tall as the brown. It just isn't as heavy.

2nd batch krausen 007.jpg

OK, this is getting ridiculous. I took that picture last night, posted it and went to bed. When I woke up this morning and checked, I had no krausen whatsoever... just a few floaties on top of the wort. For some reason, I'm skeptical that the fermentation finished up 100% while I was snoozing....

My best guess? For heat, I have a 60-watt ceramic heating element in an ordinary light fixture... the sort that's usually used in reptile tanks. And I've noticed before that since heat rises, the upper part of my carboy can get pretty hot before the wort catches up. Last night, there was a dramatic drop in local night-time temperatures. according to the weather channel. And my mini-fridge fermenter conversion sets in the living room of my motor home, which I don't normally heat or cool.

My temperature probe is taped to the carboy at about the middle of the liquid level. So I'm thinking the empty glass at the top of the carboy heated up along with the upper part of the wort, cooking and killing the yeasts on top.

I've disabled the heat side of my fermenter (fancy way of saying I unplugged it). If the krausen makes a comeback over the next couple of days, I'll figure heat stratification was my problem. Maybe I can address it by installing a computer fan for circulation, so the heated air doesn't pool at the top of the chamber.

Is the heater,etc rigged to a temp controller? that'd help. I think maybe some combo of things finally made the krausen drop. Mine always drops before it's actually done fermenting.

Is the heater,etc rigged to a temp controller? that'd help. I think maybe some combo of things finally made the krausen drop. Mine always drops before it's actually done fermenting.

Everything is connected to an STC-1000 controller in a pretty standard setup, with the temperature differential set at .5 degrees Celsius.

The krausen didn't just 'drop.' It went from 2" thick with steady airlock activity, to completely gone overnight (less than 7 hours). I've unplugged the heat side of my system; let's see if action starts up again in the next day or so. If it was excessive heat that killed the yeast at the top, yeast from lower down should start picking up the slack.

Latest posts

Back