Mulberry wine questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbycitybrewer

Reaction score
So I've been brewing beer for a few years all grain. My wife is big into wine and I'm so so. Anyways a yard that I cut has a huge mulberry tree. My questions are lets say to one gallon how many pounds of fruit do I need? Should I filter the crushed mulberries? Do I top up with water? How much sugar should I add? What would be a good yeast to keep it sweet? Thanks ahead of time. Cheers

KY by chance?

I would recommend 8-10#/gal, ferment on whole fruit which has been frozen/thawed and is NOT confined by a bag. Can strain/screen when transferring from bucket to carboy. RC-212, Cotes de blanc are good yeasts to use. If you want to try for a RS created by alcohol toxicity you will have to structure your OG accordingly; is more controlled if you simply ferment dry and backsweeten when the time comes. Cuvee is a great option if you choose to ferment dry & then backsweeten, but not good for a planned natural residual sugar(RS).
I opt for unbagged whole fruit for the mulberry because I had three 12% ACV duplicate semisweet batches: whole bagged, whole not bagged and steam juiced and actually used the three yeasts I mentioned in each style of wine, so had 9 batches. Taste tests with the same set of 17 people over 3 different 'testing dates' indicated the RC-212 'whole not bagged' was the favorite.
Avoid topping up with water, just make an extra 3 cups per gallon and that fits nicely in a 750ml bottle as a secondary container. Sugar..allow fruit to rest with enzyme on board for 24hr, then add k-meta, wait 24hr & then see what juice yield is like and take SG at that time and adjust must accordingly. You can even use WWGJ or gasp, concord for part of the base, it meshes well, or so my friends tell me when I force them to give feedback.

saramc said:
KY by chance?

I would recommend 8-10#/gal, ferment on whole fruit which has been frozen/thawed and is NOT confined by a bag. Can strain/screen when transferring from bucket to carboy. RC-212, Cotes de blanc are good yeasts to use. If you want to try for a RS created by alcohol toxicity you will have to structure your OG accordingly; is more controlled if you simply ferment dry and backsweeten when the time comes. Cuvee is a great option if you choose to ferment dry & then backsweeten, but not good for a planned natural residual sugar(RS).
I opt for unbagged whole fruit for the mulberry because I had three 12% ACV duplicate semisweet batches: whole bagged, whole not bagged and steam juiced and actually used the three yeasts I mentioned in each style of wine, so had 9 batches. Taste tests with the same set of 17 people over 3 different 'testing dates' indicated the RC-212 'whole not bagged' was the favorite.
Avoid topping up with water, just make an extra 3 cups per gallon and that fits nicely in a 750ml bottle as a secondary container. Sugar..allow fruit to rest with enzyme on board for 24hr, then add k-meta, wait 24hr & then see what juice yield is like and take SG at that time and adjust must accordingly. You can even use WWGJ or gasp, concord for part of the base, it meshes well, or so my friends tell me when I force them to give feedback.

Yes from ky. You as we'll?

Latest posts

Back