M'uggle SMaSh - Recipe sanity check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
I may have a brewday opportunity coming in a few weeks. I'll be driving home from a family reunion and my wife and son will be going back with her folks. It's a six-hour drive, so I'll be trying to leave mega early to come back for a brew day. This will also be my first brew on my new setup, and using my corona mill. Long day plus first brew makes me want to do something ismple, so I figured, why not a SMaSH. I have Maris Otter and regular 2 Row. I figure I'll use the MO since I've not brewed with it before and want something "English." Hence the Fuggles and probably Nottingham as well. The hops and yeast, I'll be picking up at the LHBS in a week or so.

This is what I banged out in Brewtarget. Just used an ESB as the style, even though I'm sure it won't really be on-style. I'm looking for lower bitterness but for the hop aroma and grain to shine through.

M'UGGLE SMaSH - Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
================================================================================
Batch Size: 8.000 gal
Boil Size: 9.062 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.0%%
Bitterness: 21.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Maris Otter Grain 15.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Total grain: 15.000 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Fuggles 4.5%% 0.750 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 1.5
Fuggles 4.5%% 1.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 15.2
Fuggles 4.5%% 0.750 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 4.6

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Dry 0.312 cup Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
Conversion Step, 68C Infusion 4.688 gal 167.100 F 154.400 F 1.000 hr
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 6.388 gal 177.234 F 165.200 F 15.000 min

Not certain about the mash temp for this grain. I am just setting up this equipment in Brewtarget and haven't tuned it yet.

How's this look? Anyone else done a MO and Fuggle SMaSH?

I've had a few too many Memorial Day/Brew Day beers to make an in depth response. If you're going bjcp I think 150-152 is an appropriate mash temp. But, Seeing as you're not using any crystal and making a smash, I think 154 is totally appropriate to get some added body. You might even want to consider boiling for 90 mins to get some added character.

I did make an all Fuggles Best Bitter recently that turned out awesome, but I only had one small late hop addition around 10 or 15 mins I believe.

P.s. Love the name of the beer.

Recently had a Fuggles + MO Smash beer (not sure the amounts) that really knocked my socks off. I'd mash around 154F or so.

I was just shooting for an IBU around something my wife would like and spreading around an even three onunces. I hope it works out.

Glad the combo of MO and Fuggles sounds good, though.

Now that I think of it, and after reviewing the BJCP entry for ESB, this may be better postioned as a Premium Bitter (8B), not tha tI'm really trying to do a strictly style appropriate brew.

I may do a 90 minute boil to get more character, though.

I recently made a MO/Fuggle SMaSH and it turned out to be one of my best beers. I mashed at 152 - OG 1.050, FG 1.010. With the full flavor of the MO it doesn't drink like a thin beer though. I'm sure yours will come out great.

Yep. The fuggles were 4.5%AA. I did one oz at 60, 1/2oz at 20, 1/2oz at 5---my boil volume was only 4 gal though, bringing it to 35 IBU

Back