Mr Malty Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I entered all my brewing information into malty, and it told me to make a 2 L starter. Does this mean I want to end with 2 L of wort after the boil or to add DME to water until I get 2 L in my flask and then boil? I typically lose 400 mL to evaporation when boiling 2 L.

You want to have 2 liters of 1.030 to 1.040 wort to pitch your yeast into. You don't need to do a long boil, you just want to stay sanitary. I think there is a sticky for this somewhere.

How long are you boiling? You really only need to boil for a couple mins, 10 mins seems to be the "norm".

What I do is take 1 gm of DME per 10 ml of starter size. Mix them together, boil, cool and pitch. So yeah, a "1 litre" starter is more like 1100 ml, but it's not important. The important thing is making a starter around the size that's recommended for your batch.

So if I start with let's say 2200 ml and boil to get 2000 ml of wort, should I add 200 grams of DME or 220?

Stick to the ratio. 1g:10ML.
If you put in 2.2 liters than add 220 g DME
If you end up with a little more than 2liters then you just have a little extra..

Remember you only have to boil for 10 minutes. Its not a rocking boil either. Once you hit boil turn it down for a nice boil for 10 minutes, cool to pitch temps and pitch.

I wanted to ask a related question here.

When I go to "Repitch from slurry" on MM, I put in harvest date, OG, batch size, etc. Then it tells me how many ML of yeast I need...I've always taken that to mean just warming the yeast up and direct-pitching, no starter.

Anyone have any tips/tricks to using the repitch tool on there? I generally have whole or half cakes in quart-sized (I know, overkill) mason jars. Often times there's TONS of creamy, solid colored yeast in them.

I wanted to ask a related question here.

When I go to "Repitch from slurry" on MM, I put in harvest date, OG, batch size, etc. Then it tells me how many ML of yeast I need...I've always taken that to mean just warming the yeast up and direct-pitching, no starter.

Anyone have any tips/tricks to using the repitch tool on there? I generally have whole or half cakes in quart-sized (I know, overkill) mason jars. Often times there's TONS of creamy, solid colored yeast in them.

I always make a starter with washed slurry unless it's super fresh. I save my yeast in really small jars, so I usually get 100-150 ml of slurry per jar. I just make a starter according to MrM like I would a smack pack. I put in the harvest date as the mfg. date. I'm sure there's much better/more accurate ways to do it, but it works well for me.

My last wlp500 harvested cake had about 450ml of pure yeast in it after settling. I warmed, split, and pitched each half into each 4.5g FV of wort. It was about a week since harvest when I pitched it.

With that much yeast slurry, I doubt you'd need a starter, especially with it being so fresh. I don't have a ton of space for storing yeast in my beer fridge, so I go with the small (250 ml?) jars. If I'm lucky, I'll get a tad more than 150 ml of solids per jar, so I do the starter to be safe.

Latest posts

Back