Mr Beer Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangos

Reaction score
Hey, So I got a Mr Beer Oktoberfest kit for Christmas and it's my first time brewing so I figured it would be the best way to start before eventually upgrading. After reading a few forum threads, a general suggestion was the 2-2-2 rule. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating and 2 weeks in the fridge. So 2 weeks ago I set everything up and put the beer in the fermenter. I just took a look at it today and it's super cloudy and there's white stuff floating at the top. It doesn't really look like the spidery stuff that would indicate infection, but just clumps of white. I tried a sample of it, and it came out really cloudy but it just tasted a little vinegary but other than that it's just regular flat beer. We keep our house around 64-66 degrees so I don't think it would have gotten too warm, but does anyone have any idea if I should just scrap it, keep it in the fermenter for a few more days or.. to bottle it?
This is my first time so I really have no clue what I'm doing. Any help would help!

Don't dump it! Your beer is fine, just a little green. Let it ferment for another week. The cloudiness is a clue. Yeast will drop out when they are done. The cloudiness means that a lot of the little buggers are still floating around eating up sugar.

Your temperature is very good. The yeast move a little slower at low temps. You'll quickly learn that any 'rule' should be viewed with a whole bunch of suspicion. There are no rules in brewing. The beer is ready when its ready.

In summary, you've got a young beer that's not done yet. Give it another week. Let the primed bottles sit warm (70-75*) for 2 weeks. Put a couple in the fridge and see what you think. 2 weeks is too long in the fridge. Give them a couple days and try one.

I'm a little worried about your description of a 'little vinegary' taste. That would be a bacterial or perhaps wild yeast contamination, and would be unusual for a 1st time, if you used normal sanitizing precautions. So, I'm hoping that you're mistaken. Remember, even Mr. Beer yeast don't read and they ferment on their own schedule. So, let it go for another week before going to your next stage. You're probably fine. Good luck! :mug:

The fermenting is done when the yeast is done eating the sugar. The only way to tell is by taking two hydrometer readings 2 days apart and seeing no change. I usually just wait 4 weeks. Then carbonate 3 weeks and chill one or two days before drinking.

To tell the truth I've been know to pop a top after one week of carbonating. LOL:)

Octoberfest beers are lagers,did you use a lager yeast? The temps you are using are ale temps,and this could, I stress could lead to off flavors,if a lager yeast was used.

Yeah, very possible it just needs to mellow out more. Like Jim Rausch said though, if the vinegar taste doesn't go away, it is most likely an acetobacter bacterial infection or a wild yeast. Acetobacter can only grow without oxygen, so make sure the fermentor is well sealed except for the occasional sample or transfer.

The clumps of white could be something else growing in there, but it's easy to get worried about something that's actually completely normal. Did you take a picture?

I'll keep it fermenting for another week, but I haven't opened it once since I put it all together 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I used the spout to pour myself a little bit. My roommate says it tastes just like flat beer and not vinegary so it might just be me.
As for the yeast, I just used the yeast that came with the Oktoberfest kit.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures!

Mr beer 1.jpeg

Mr beer 2.jpeg

thats perfectly normal. That is yeast doing its thing. Its called krausen and its proof the beer is healthy. Sounds like your fermentation is going a bit slow. just let it go a bit longer and it should be fine. I started on a Mr Beer kit and had the same reaction. As Charlie Papazian says-relax have a home brew.

If you dont know about Charlie he wrote the "Complete Joy of Home brewing". I read it when I had a Mr Beer kit and it made it all clear. Its not magic its beer. Go get a copy and read it

Keep reading on this forum and ask questions. This is a great group of people who are willing to help. Love this place

gman

Thank you all for the help! It's greatly appreciated. I've always wanted to make my own beer, so the Mr Beer kit is the easiest way to start but I have no clue what I'm doing. Thank you GmanNJ, I'll check that out!

Back