Moving the fermenter to cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnsfeigel

Reaction score
So here's my dilemma... I have my beer chilling in a 3 week primary. I hit FG over a week ago, and have been just letting it relax until I had a good day off to bottle. I was going to bottle on Sat and have 2 options.
1. Move it to the garage to cold crash, clear across the house and will probably disturb the trub a little in the process.
2. Leave it be and rack to the bottling bucket with minimal disturbance at ferm temps.

So the rub lies in, would anything I disturb in the move settle back down in 48 hours + any benefit to crashing. Or should I just leave it at ferm temps without the disturbance and bottle from there?

I think that you can duplicate any effect of cold crashing by leaving the beer in the fermenter longer and/or chilling the bottles. Crash cooling only settles out the yeast that hasn't settled so you have less in the bottom of the bottle and the proteins of chill haze, easily taken care of by chilling bottles for more than the day some people do.

Back