Moving Cross-Country with Glass Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua618

Reaction score
I am moving from Colorado to Massachusetts in a week and a half and will be bringing all of my brewing gear with me. I am concerned about how to pack my four 5-gallon glass carboys.

Does anyone have any good methods to pack them up so that they will survive the move? I do not have the boxes that they came in. Thanks.

You could go to a big box store that receives large items and see if they have cardboard large enough for you to make a box.

Maybe 2 milk crates per bottle - 1 on bottom and 1 on top upside down. Bubble wrap or styrofoam packing around the bottles and on top and bottom. Zip tie the crates together all around. Nylon straps around the whole thing or packing tape.

I moved from Chicago to South Carolina and then to North Carolina a few years later and didn't have any problems when the movers packed them in a big box filled with the foam packing peanuts.

Moved to Colorado about two years back. Found boxes, think they were dish packs, from Home Depot or a Public Storage storefront that were about the right size and shape. I wrapped the carboys in a couple layers of thin foam but peanuts should work. No problems.
22oz bottles were just shipped in their original boxes, no additional boxing.

Drop em off at my place. I'll keep them safe. CO carboys will not seal right at the lower altitudes back east.

Back