moving, chicago to san diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstyle69

Reaction score
so im heading out on the first to san diego.

any tips for LHBS in the area? ill be living in Logan hights...or something that sounds just like the way i spelt it.

any tips or info on water profiles would be cool.

if not, ill figure it out as i go.

thanks in advance!

Welcome to beer heaven. My favorite shop is the homebrewer which would be fairly close for you. You should also check out Ballast Point home brew mart.

Agreed SD Homebrewer in North Park is the choice LHBS.

Ballast Point HB shop can suck it, high prices and surly service.

And of course White Labs. WHITE LABS!!!

You will be serviced by the Alvarado water treatment plant. I've got data at work on that, pm me to remind me to send or post it. IME it's good for stouts/porters if cut about 50:50 with RO, pales and lagers need more like 80-85% RO.

Welcome to San Diego. Don't get too used to the rain you'll be seeing the next few months.

BTW, what brings you out here, new job?

Do agree Ballast Point is over priced and selection is not great, but they have the tasting room with more experimental brews than you will find at the other Ballast Point locations.

The homebrewer also has a tasting room which is amazing.

anyone grow hops in san diego? if so, what grows well? i currently have 3 cascade plants. they are all first year.

so im heading out on the first to san diego.

any tips for LHBS in the area? ill be living in Logan hights...or something that sounds just like the way i spelt it.

any tips or info on water profiles would be cool.

if not, ill figure it out as i go.

thanks in advance!

Welcome to the hood man. Logan Heights is great neighborhood. There are two tasting rooms, iron fist and border x. You will love the beers there. I also agree that the homebrewer is a great shop and they have excellent beers on tap. Also check out quatro milpas and el salvadoreno for some amazing food.

anyone have info on good hops to grow here? i have a huge back yard, would be nice to grow anything really.

any one growing hops out here...i have a huge yard just begging for a garden and a lot of hops...just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips for this area.

any one growing hops out here...i have a huge yard just begging for a garden and a lot of hops...just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips for this area.

No personal experience but a buddy of mine is growing some c hops I forget which ones, in the spring valley area he got a somewhat decent yield his first year.

i also saw a hop farm in the san diego area, maybe ill shoot them an email. im mostly wondering what grows well and how long the actual growing season is. since i cant tell the difference in seasons yet.

I can't help with the hop question, but I just wanted to tell you to have a great time in San Diego. I lived there for 7 years and it is by far my favorite place in the USA. I absolutely love it. The people are nice, the weather is perfect, and it's where I got into homebrewing.

Take my advice and stop in the most run-down taco shop you can find, where the people don't speak much English, and order the Carne Asado burrito. I still dream about them.

Take my advice and stop in the most run-down taco shop you can find, where the people don't speak much English, and order the Carne Asado burrito. I still dream about them.

I live around the corner from Las Cuatros Milpas. so ive been getting ALOT of excellent tacos. l love it.

Seasons? Seasons?! We don't need no steeenking seasons!

Hey! We have seasons here... 2 weeks where it actually gets cold enough that flip-flops get uncomfortable (Winter), followed by 2 weeks when we get all the rain for the year and everything turns green (Spring), 46 weeks of soul blistering heat (Summer) and finally 2 weeks where everything that was green during 'Spring' catches fire (Autumn). :ban:

I live around the corner from Las Cuatros Milpas. so ive been getting ALOT of excellent tacos. l love it.

Doooood. Cuatros milpas is where it's at. Born and raised here in SD and I would have to say that I think it's the most authentic Mexican food you'll find North of the border (albeit not far north of the border)

Agreed, ballast point/HB Mart can suck it. Customer service is meh, and prices will make you need to take out a second mortgage. If you ever make it up to North county, check out bear roots. Those guys are legit.

C hops do well in San Diego. Planted 2 first year ctz rhizomes 2 weeks ago and already have some shoots. Welcome to America's finest city!!

A little off topic from brewing, but also check out Rolando's in barrio Logan (just South of Chicano park). Scuzzy looking place and it's deeeelish. And if you drink coffee... Cafe moto across the street from Rolando's has, IMO the best coffee in North America haha

thanks for all the info and what not. im currently ordering 4 rhizomes...3 neomex (amilla, Multihead, and Neo1) as well as a centennial. need to get some work done in this back yard.

thanks again everyone.

ok, now that i have the lay of the land, im moving. still in san diego, but to city hights or what ever. buying a house, because renting with 3 pittbulls and a nasty brewing habit is better suited for owning your own **** and not having land lords...

with that said, are there any active homebrew clubs in SD? ive found some FB pages and some non-active web pages, but nothing solid to go on.

ill also get to upgrade just about everything i own and build alot of fun super time consuming projects with the property. ...

im excited and annoyed.

also, is there a FB page for SD hombrewers? one that is active...?

ok, now that i have the lay of the land, im moving. still in san diego, but to city hights or what ever. buying a house, because renting with 3 pittbulls and a nasty brewing habit is better suited for owning your own **** and not having land lords...

with that said, are there any active homebrew clubs in SD? ive found some FB pages and some non-active web pages, but nothing solid to go on.

ill also get to upgrade just about everything i own and build alot of fun super time consuming projects with the property. ...

im excited and annoyed.

also, is there a FB page for SD hombrewers? one that is active...?

Don't know of any fb pages but I believe we have a quaff club and I'm in a club called mash heads.

bought a house in national city. i think there is a home brew shop near by, but havnt made it there yet. im about to build a brew shed....i think. this is gonna be a pain in the ass i think. haha.

Welcome to SD! I live in North Park off of El Cajon Blvd. I'm a part of a club called Foam on the Brain. QUAFF is indeed huge, but I hear they're mostly focused on competitions.

I actually disagree, Homebrewer is always priced over HBMt on most things. I live down the street from the Homebrewer and their 3# bag of DME is $14.99 (which is pretty high). HBM is $13.99. So I can either go down the street and pay $1 more or drive 5 mins to Linda Vista to get cheaper grain.

I only go to Homebrewer if I need last minute stuff like yeast or hops or DME for a starter.

Solution: order online

And of course White Labs. WHITE LABS!!!

You will be serviced by the Alvarado water treatment plant. I've got data at work on that, pm me to remind me to send or post it. IME it's good for stouts/porters if cut about 50:50 with RO, pales and lagers need more like 80-85% RO.

Welcome to San Diego. Don't get too used to the rain you'll be seeing the next few months.

BTW, what brings you out here, new job?

Welcome to SD! I live in North Park off of El Cajon Blvd. I'm a part of a club called Foam on the Brain. QUAFF is indeed huge, but I hear they're mostly focused on competitions.

I actually disagree, Homebrewer is always priced over HBMt on most things. I live down the street from the Homebrewer and their 3# bag of DME is $14.99 (which is pretty high). HBM is $13.99. So I can either go down the street and pay $1 more or drive 5 mins to Linda Vista to get cheaper grain.

I only go to Homebrewer if I need last minute stuff like yeast or hops or DME for a starter.

Solution: order online

I do like supporting local businessesbut you are correct. The homebrewer is a little pricey, but they have hard to find ingredients (needed strisselspalt hops last month and they were the only store in sd with them). My favorite store in SD has to be Bear Roots in Vista. The owner is a great dude and they have competitive pricing. But then again I live in north county so I rarely schlep down to Homebrew mart or the Homebrewer

I always find what I need at Homebrewer and end up making substitutions at home brew mart. Don't know about extract, but the homebrewer grains are reasonable. I bought 50lb of 2-row at 0.85/lb where they give me a card to track what I used (no need to bring a whole sack home)

Ordering online seems like no fun.

Try Hydrobrew in, I wanna say Oceanside. I used to live in San Marcos, El Cajon, and San Diego proper. Home brewmart was awesome, loved the tasting room, with yogurt shoppe next door.

I do like supporting local businessesbut you are correct. The homebrewer is a little pricey, but they have hard to find ingredients (needed strisselspalt hops last month and they were the only store in sd with them). My favorite store in SD has to be Bear Roots in Vista. The owner is a great dude and they have competitive pricing. But then again I live in north county so I rarely schlep down to Homebrew mart or the Homebrewer

The moment SD Homebrewer opened a tasting room a few months ago, they raised prices on everything in the store some 20-25%. I don't go there anymore.

I have a California Homebrewer's card and usually get discounts but Homebrewer doesn't take it...except in their tasting room. Wtf is up with that??? Ok so to make my own brew you wont accept, but to buy your brew you will? Rant done, over and out

I always find what I need at Homebrewer and end up making substitutions at home brew mart. Don't know about extract, but the homebrewer grains are reasonable. I bought 50lb of 2-row at 0.85/lb where they give me a card to track what I used (no need to bring a whole sack home)

Ordering online seems like no fun.

I have a California Homebrewer's card and usually get discounts but Homebrewer doesn't take it...except in their tasting room. Wtf is up with that??? Ok so to make my own brew you wont accept, but to buy your brew you will? Rant done, over and out

This. What kind of HB store doesnt accept/give AHA discounts? Oh I can use it to buy your beer? Nah, Im good, Ill go somewhere else

Hmm I didn't notice the price increase, will have to pay more attention. Not doubting you guys and I never tried an AHA discount.

Anyone know a good shop near poway? Tried American homebrew, but didn't have a common yeast (wlp565) and guy working seemed he was upset I even asked for it and offered no other help.

Smokin beaver in Escondido was alright, but small. Also they never seem to be open when I am in the area.

Hmm I didn't notice the price increase, will have to pay more attention. Not doubting you guys and I never tried an AHA discount.

Anyone know a good shop near poway? Tried American homebrew, but didn't have a common yeast (wlp565) and guy working seemed he was upset I even asked for it and offered no other help.

Smokin beaver in Escondido was alright, but small. Also they never seem to be open when I am in the area.

Beverage Factory just opened a HB store. Dont know the extent of it, but they are in Miramar. And if you're in poway and looking for White Labs yeast, why not just go straight to white labs?

Beverage Factory just opened a HB store. Dont know the extent of it, but they are in Miramar. And if you're in poway and looking for White Labs yeast, why not just go straight to white labs?

I had my CO2 tank filled at beverage factory. They were not very well stocked for homebrew ingredients. Some dry yeast, pre packaged and milled grains and maybe some extract. They have some equipment and the guy working there said they are planning to expand the homebrew stuff more.

Does white labs sell directly? I have had beer there, but never saw yeast for sale. Ask the bartender?

I had my CO2 tank filled at beverage factory. They were not very well stocked for homebrew ingredients. Some dry yeast, pre packaged and milled grains and maybe some extract. They have some equipment and the guy working there said they are planning to expand the homebrew stuff more.

Does white labs sell directly? I have had beer there, but never saw yeast for sale. Ask the bartender?

Yup! I've bought a lot of yeast directly from them at the labs

I bought 4 perlicks from Beverage Factory and was impressed. Ordered online and picked up in the store. If they are expanding to Homebrew shop I might stop by again, aaaand roll by Alesmith on my way home :ban:

I grow hops (or trying to). Just started this April. There are some hop farms out in Ramona.
I think certain varieties - I have zeroed in on Chinook, Cascade and CTZ - do better in San Diego climate.

In my case, Cascade definitely took off the fastest and is most healthy. It's first year for my hops so it's difficult to tell, but they produced a bunch of cones over the summer, which exceeded my expectations. (definitely not enough for any reasonable amount of beer, but still nice to know).

The problem you have to watch for is the general draught conditions in SoCal (water the plants often and have good drainage, especially early), but also the fact that unlike Pacific Northwest, we don't get super-long sunlight days in the summer, and then colder, rainy, less sunlight in the winter - which apparently hops love. We get somewhat closer sunlight coverage around the year, without as much changes or much precipitation.

Below are the photos of my "hop garden" in various stages. (I started growing from rhizomes in pots so I could move them around a bit and find some good spots, then transferred them to a raised bed that I made - same process as making a keezer collar - ha!).

IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_4492.JPG

13266718_1017971698288023_1102634807_n.jpg

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

Latest posts

Back