Moving back into the brewing hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuzlo

Reaction score
OK

I have been out of the hobby for the past 2-3 years because of work and home location. I am going to treat myself as a Beginner as I have forgotten quite a bit.

Biggest issue right now is situating where I am going to setup my equipment. For the time being since it is late fall going on Snow Season soon, I will be making beer from Kits, such as Coopers or Festa Brew.

The issue I have is in the Family room it is way too hot as we have a wood stove and temps get up to 35 C in there at times. The basement which is optimal to set up a brew center is not heated, currently the inside temp of the basement is 15C and I am guessing the temps will probably drop another 5C thru the winter. This does not take into consideration of the radiant heat thrown off by the Woodstove.

I will be brewing in a food grade plastic Rubbermaid Garbage can which can hold somewhere between 15 and 20 gallons. I like Ales and Lagers the best and probably brew these the most.

My question is, since I have been out of the hobby for some time:

1. what ambient room temps am I going to need.
2. If my ambient temps are too low, does anyone have economical solutions to keep things at an ambient temp and not fork out an arm and a leg in power bills?

I would love to eventually move on to brewing with grains, I have Sankey kegs to cut open and make brew kettles from.

1. You probably want to keep your ambient temp (different from wort temp) in the low 60's F (15-17 C.)

2. You could put a heating pad under the fermentor and up the temp a bit that way. Also, making sure to keep the fermentor off the cold basement floor will help some as well.

Fermenters will be on a table for now, looking for old used cabinets I can scoff cheaply.

Latest posts

Back