Move from propane to Electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrewguy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to make the switch from a propane heating source to Electric for small batches (1 gal) as i will be moving my brewing to the basement. I am having trouble finding good info on any electric heating source that is relatively inexpensive, anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

i have an induction range. it is very fast. get an induction with enough wattage. i think gordon strong talked about this somewhere and uses them.

For volumes that small you could probably just pick up a 110 volt water heating element from one of the big hardware stores and install it on a small kettle. I'm thinking about doing one with a 220. If you're not an electrician, be sure to get help.

I use 3500w induction for 5 gal batches. I’ll never go back to propane because the accurate control and fast response. Never a boil over and extremely predictable results.

I use 3500w induction for 5 gal batches. I’ll never go back to propane because the accurate control and fast response. Never a boil over and extremely predictable results.
Hey - would you mind telling me a little more about your setup?

I'm using propane - in the garage - and it never sits well with me. I have a 220 socket about 15ft away, and have been considering induction. How fast does it take to get up to speed with 3500w? is it a brand name coil? etc.. Thanks!!

Hey - would you mind telling me a little more about your setup?

I'm using propane - in the garage - and it never sits well with me. I have a 220 socket about 15ft away, and have been considering induction. How fast does it take to get up to speed with 3500w? is it a brand name coil? etc.. Thanks!!
I know you were asking BrewBama about this, but I have a similar rig.
I got the Avantco IC3500 induction burner. Used mostly with a 10gallon SS Kettle. I do get similar results with my 33QT Graniteware pot, though.
Getting ~5gallons of strike water (and later sparge water) from tap to temp is no more than 20 minutes. I start heating my first wort runoff while I batch sparge, if I'm not careful it (usually 3.5 gallons or so) is at a full rolling boil before the sparge is over, so maybe 10 minutes from 160-ish to boil. Another 10-15 once I add the rest of the wort in. I like to get to the boil at full power, then back off to keep at the gentle roll for the rest. I won't go back to propane brewing, (at least regularly) again.

Back