Mould

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donmega

Reaction score
Quick query ! On cleanup after bottling I noticed some mould in spots on the lip of the ferm bucket lid... Sample looked smelt and tasted great... Has anyone else had this happen before... Should I be concerned ? I also washed the yeast for reuse..

Ps brew Sat in primary for a few weeks. Fern temp 22 degrees.

Cheers guys

Mold
It's likely from condensation. Did you sanitize the underside of the lid well? Starsan?
If you have lifted lid prior to this time, you should have re-sanitized it before putting it back on.

I'd say, nothing to worry about for your beer unless you see fuzzy growths on it.

Mold
It's likely from condensation. Did you sanitize the underside of the lid well? Starsan?
If you have lifted lid prior to this time, you should have re-sanitized it before putting it back on.

I'd say, nothing to worry about for your beer unless you see fuzzy growths on it.

Thanks heaps, didn't consider that it could be caused by condensation... In about 15 batches I have had no sanitisation issues so fingers crossed I was spot on again...

I Had the bucket in an ice bath to cool it for a few days... as the temps were up around the mid 20,s .. Only time the lid came (partially) off was to add dry hops..

Beer looks clean apart from the hop film on top...

Thanks heapa

Yeah, your beer is fine, enjoy it!

It happens once in a while to everyone, maybe you missed a spot. Next time clean and sanitize a bit more thoroughly. I mop the lid with a small Starsan drenched washcloth over a wide 3.5 gallon bucket with Starsan. Make sure every area gets touched at least once, and stays wet until you mount the lid.

Some people spray, but I think mopping has better action.

I sanitize my buckets by putting the lid on, putting my thumb over the airlock hole, and then shaking so the underside of the lid gets sanitized. Spray bottle would also work. Either way, always make sure the entire interior of your bucket is sanitized. Assuming you did so, if the mold was on the outside and the inside was sanitized I wouldn't worry too much. If the mold is on the inside of the lid, that is more concerning. If there is no other sign of infection than I would carry on... Cheers.

I sanitize my buckets by putting the lid on, putting my thumb over the airlock hole, and then shaking so the underside of the lid gets sanitized. Spray bottle would also work. Either way, always make sure the entire interior of your bucket is sanitized. Assuming you did so, if the mold was on the outside and the inside was sanitized I wouldn't worry too much. If the mold is on the inside of the lid, that is more concerning. If there is no other sign of infection than I would carry on... Cheers.

Thanks ! Had a good look on the inside and it looked sweet... I did a few years as a chef so am pretty intense with my sanitation, it was a first to see mould that's for sure...

Worse case I might just have to sink them quickly to be safe ! [emoji51]

Yeah, your beer is fine, enjoy it!

It happens once in a while to everyone, maybe you missed a spot. Next time clean and sanitize a bit more thoroughly. I mop the lid with a small Starsan drenched washcloth over a wide 3.5 gallon bucket with Starsan. Make sure every area gets touched at least once, and stays wet until you mount the lid.

Some people spray, but I think mopping has better action.

Thanks heaps [emoji106]

That's a good method, although no better than so many others. But you do get to play hulk! :ban:
Don't forget, the area that also needs to be Starsaned is the snap rim; by mounting the lid Starsan may not reach (deep enough) into that crevice, so treat it after the lid comes off.

A little mold spec (or even a few) on the inside of the lid is not a concern. but it could become an infestation over time.

I noticed those black mold spots on the inside of a lid that was covering a bucket with Starsan I hadn't used for a month or 2. How could that happen it's Starsan? I deduced it to condensation being the cause. The condensate is mostly pure water without Starsan. That can allow a mold spore that already was on the lid, or infiltrated at later time, to get a foothold. The lid was loose on top, not snapped, air can get in easily.

Back