Motueka hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So I wanted to brew a pale ale and use all motueka hops. I have never used this hop before but the qualities of it sound great. So I'm sure some of u used them and do u guys think it would be good in an pale ale or ipa

Motueka is a fabulous hop. I've made a PA (in my recipes) with this and Pac Gem and it turns out fantastic. Such a unique aroma from NZ hops.

I've got an all NZ hopped beer in bottles now I named Maori IPA after NZ's original inhabitants. It's a PB/PM BIAB,using pacific gem for bittering,& motueka,pacifica,& wakatu for flavor & dry hop. It was bottled 5/25/13. So it'll be 2 weeks in bottles this Saturday. Danag,I hate waiting a coup[le more weeks to try it. gunna send yooper & my daighter a couple bottles to try. Yoop thought it sounded interesting,so I'll def look forward to her opinion on my most current pm escapade.

Motueka is 2/3 Saaz and tastes like it. I get orange with the floral, spicy Saaz notes. Other folks describe the citrus flavor of this hop as lemon/lime. I think the citrus character is yeast dependant, I've only used farmhouse strains with, maybe a cleaner ale strain will be different.

Motueka is 2/3 Saaz and tastes like it. I get orange with the floral, spicy Saaz notes. Other folks describe the citrus flavor of this hop as lemon/lime. I think the citrus character is yeast dependant, I've only used farmhouse strains with, maybe a cleaner ale strain will be different.

The strain I had was citrusy, but almost melon-y. It wasn't like anything else i've used.

Seems like all of the 5 varieties of NZ hops I've used are like no others flavor or aroma wize,in the world. A couple more weeks,& I'll be able to try my all NZ hopped PM Maori IPA. 7ozs of 4 different NZ hops in this one.

I did an all motueka IPA and loved it. As others have said, it provides a nice balance of Saaz spice and citrus.

What do u guys think about adding some lemon and lime zest to the boil for a little more flavor

I love Motueka! I use it by itself in blondes and ambers regularly I like it so much. It's only a little reminiscent of Saaz to me. I find it much more tropical and citrusy.

If you're trying to get a feel for it, I wouldn't mess with zest

TwoGunz said:
I love Motueka! I use it by itself in blondes and ambers regularly I like it so much. It's only a little reminiscent of Saaz to me. I find it much more tropical and citrusy.

If you're trying to get a feel for it, I wouldn't mess with zest

I just brewed a blonde (Biermunchers Centennial Blonde) but I used Magnum for bittering and all Motueka for flavor and aroma. It was my first time using them but I really liked the aroma.

If the dry hop on my Maori IPA came out right,this one is going to mass a full frontal assault on the drinkers' senses.I dry hopped with the same ones I used for the flavor additions; Motueka,pacifica,& wakatu. I really hope all the tropical fruity oaky cinammon & alspice aromas & flavors carry over to the finished beer. It's been one amazing ride brewing this one.
Also,it seems to me there's an NZ IPA out ther called Kiwi IPA?...

Latest posts

Back