Mother of Vinegar- dry? How to store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samakbass

Reaction score
I am interested in making vinegar. How long can mother of vinegar last if stored properly? What is the proper way to store mother of vinegar so it can last as long as possible? Will it last for many months in the refrigerator or freezer? Is it okay to freeze it without killing it? Is there such thing as "dehydrated mother of vinegar" ( Mycoderma aceti) so I can use some dry Mycoderma aceti?
Do you know any sources where I can get some?

I am interested in making vinegar. How long can mother of vinegar last if stored properly? What is the proper way to store mother of vinegar so it can last as long as possible? Will it last for many months in the refrigerator or freezer? Is it okay to freeze it without killing it? Is there such thing as "dehydrated mother of vinegar" ( Mycoderma aceti) so I can use some dry Mycoderma aceti?
Do you know any sources where I can get some?
Did you ever find the answer to this? I have a vinegar mother and wanting to freeze dry it for long term storage like I do my yogurt starter.

Back