mostly make beer, but getting into cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor strangebrew

Reaction score
Hello, I get really onto making beer years ago, but gave up on bottling (too much hassle) so waited until I got a keg setup. Now I have a small keg so ready to start again! In the past, made about a dozen batches. A few went down the drain (learning curve) and one batch of brown ale the yeast died because I put bleach/water in the airlock so when fermentation slowed down it got sucked back into carboy. Not a total loss... just didn't carbonate on bottles so was flat (tasted like ice tea) My best batch was some barvarian dark lager (used extract and flavor grains, german style hops and liquid yeast) Very proud of that batch! Now getting into cider also. Looking forward to being on the forums.

Welcome back Doc.

My biggest bit of advice: Get some Star-San and get the bleach as far from your brewery as possible. It is the one thing that I wish I had known (or had access to) 10 years ago when I took a 5 year hiatus.

Tech Fan, yes I agree! Evil chlorine... now I use vodka in airlock. Thanks for the tip on sanitizer.

Back