Most Awful Beer Ever Award

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rainier Ale .... Old German .... Red White and Blue ....
And the milk stout some guy on here brewed with actual milk added ....

This comment belongs in another thread, but it's too funny not to mention here. I once had a (female) friend come over to a party with some beer in hand. She gives me the bag and says, "I brought a really cool beer."

"Oh yeah, what is it?" I asked.

"It's Sam Adams Triple Bock. They use three bocks in each batch to make it taste really strong!" she squeaks.

THREE WHOLE BOCKS per batch?!?!?! Holy hops batman, that's a lot of bocks!

See, in this situation I'd not be able to resist half-assed explaining that "bock" is a goat reference and then yell at her "You brought me GOAT BEER?"

either olympia or boddington's pub ale. olympia had me puking after 2. boddington's was so slimy and bland i gagged and poured it out. gave a couple to 2 friends, and they took 1 drink out of theirs and poured them out. ended up dumping the last 1 of the 4, since no 1 would take it.

I have another entry. Last night I had my first ever Southern tier Pumking ale, terrible stuff, and at nearly 10$ a bottle total ripoff. I had half a glass and had to give the rest away.
I know there are a lot of fans out there so sorry guys.

MrFeltimo said:
I have another entry. Last night I had my first ever Southern tier Pumking ale, terrible stuff, and at nearly 10$ a bottle total ripoff. I had half a glass and had to give the rest away.

I find their Unearthly IIPA pretty Undrinkable... I've tasted PumpKing and, though it has a big following, I'm not a fan. Tastes like they forgot to ferment them.

Oh, I forgot about this one! I think this might top my list!

Taking votes for the worse beer you can remember ever tasting.
As this was your idea for a thread...
I can only assume you somehow snuck into my home and stole a bottle of the Superior Strong Ale I attempted to brew...which ultimately ended up as somewhat Ale like beer, very Malty nose, with a Strong fusel Alcohol finish.:tank:

Now if you meant worst mass commercial beer ... the list is long.. most everything from coors or bud wiser, PBR.

Redd's Apple Ale tops my list. It's truly an art form for how horrible they managed to make this.

m3n00b said:
I've been thinking about trying it. Thanks for the insight. I can cross it off my list.

It taste like straight apple juice with a little beer added. My wife had one. I guess it would be ok if you really like apple juice and its hot outside. But it sure as hell is not an ale.

JoeyChopps said:
It taste like straight apple juice with a little beer added. My wife had one. I guess it would be ok if you really like apple juice and its hot outside. But it sure as hell is not an ale.

Redd's Strawberry Ale is not any better.

Some of the suggestions for 'worst' are comical. I guess I'm just glad that most of you haven't experienced true horror. Try this one on for size: Budweiser & Clamato Chelada. It's Bud heavy, mixed with tomato and clam juice. Yes, they sell this in cans, premixed. I'd drink a thousand of your suggestions before even entering the same room as this tortured libation.

I'm imagining the person who sipped a Budweiser and thought, "Boy oh boy, you know what would really make this better? Rotted tomato funk, and some clam jizz. Let's do THAT." Now I'm imagining punching that person in the nuts until he vomits.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/budweiser-chelada/74833/

Bud Light.

Didn't think so in my 20's, but... Bud Light is the worse beer I've ever tasted.

2nd worse... Coors

3rd worse... Miller

If I drink a beer that has an extremely nasty taste to it, I figure at least there is some substance to that beer... at least there is something to taste. Can't really say that with numbers 1, 2, or 3 on my list.

Sad really. They are/were American companies. And I believe we can do better than that.

I can drink a good beer and Pee anyone of those 30 minutes later!! :eek:

Some of the suggestions for 'worst' are comical. I guess I'm just glad that most of you haven't experienced true horror. Try this one on for size: Budweiser & Clamato Chelada. It's Bud heavy, mixed with tomato and clam juice. Yes, they sell this in cans, premixed. I'd drink a thousand of your suggestions before even entering the same room as this tortured libation.

Wow, and this is coming from a guy who drank his own p!ss? That stuff must be REALLY bad. :D

When I was in Texas visiting a friend we went to his family's house, who were all tossing back clamatos. I had a few sips of one I was offered before surreptitiously dumping it in the bushes. I felt bad about wasting free beer but there was no way I could stomach it. I hear a real michelada is quite refreshing however.

My award goes to Rock Art's Golden Tripple. I enjoy most of their beers, but this one tasted like straight bubble-gum. Not just a passing resemblance, it tasted like I had a mouthful of dubble-bubble. Weirdest beer ever.

EmeraldTab said:
Watermelon on Wheat from Vermont Pub and Brewery. I'll be honest it was abysmal. Followed closely by Redd's Apple Ale. i shudder just thinking about that one.

Recently saw a billboard for Redds in FLA. must be a southern thing it's not by me up north thankfully from the sound of it.

wefdog said:
Recently saw a billboard for Redds in FLA. must be a southern thing it's not by me up north thankfully from the sound of it.

I live in Chicago and we have that garbage up here. I got mine from Strack & Van Tils

Drinking right now.... Boatswain IPA by Trader Joe's.

Tastes and smell like a lager with a rancid touch to it.

Mango Magnifico by Founders. Sweet mango up front, hot pepper heat all the way down your throat. Four of us couldn't even drink half a bottle. We gave the rest to our boss who gladly finished it, For some people, if a beer is 10% it does not matter what it tastes like.

BeerGrylls said:

I'm imagining the person who sipped a Budweiser and thought, "Boy oh boy, you know what would really make this better? Rotted tomato funk, and some clam jizz. Let's do THAT." Now I'm imagining punching that person in the nuts until he vomits.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/budweiser-chelada/74833/

That is an accurate description of that abomination

Seriously, I think the Bud/Clamato combo might be the worst. The Zero IBU IPA has to be a close runner up. It is an IPA with no hops in it. They tried to make it bitter by adding horse ass or dog urine or something. I could not drink a whole beer and it was $14 a six pack. I eventually used it catch slugs in my hop garden. I don't think they were impressed either.

I haven't read the thread yet... but wow, am I looking forward to:

a) the massive amount of anger and hurt feelings I am doubtless about to read
b) literally every beer I've ever had, good or not, mentioned on this lise :ban:

Good times.

Watermelon on Wheat from Vermont Pub and Brewery. I'll be honest it was abysmal.

Seconded... a lot of great beers at the VTP&B but that one is awful at any stage in the night.

I have a hard time with Harpoon IPA. A lot of people love it, so I wouldn't think it's in the running for the worst... but wow, I hate their house yeast.

I second the Cave Creek Chili Beer. Just awful. The pepper in the bottle tastes like s***, too (pain in the butt to fish outta there as well, ha!)

I also second Wild Blue. Pretty sure I couldn't even give away 4 of the 6.

Also, Stormcloud from Rahr & Sons just rubs me the wrong way. Their take on a "German influenced IPA." FLOP.

And finally, my first brew. A hoppy amber brewed with municipal water (later learned TERRIBLE IDEA). It was Aldo most likely infected. My roommate at the time drank the piss out of it, though (no pun intended).

I'll add my vote for Magic Hat #9

was listed on the menu as an English Pale Ale; no mention of any fruit

I wanted to sue someone

I'll add my vote for that rancid Boatswain IPA that's at Trader Joe's. Awful awful beer.

I want to buy one just so I can have a taste test between it and some of my very first home brews. I'm not sure who would win the worst beer ever.

bnmir said:
Any beer with clam or tomato in it

Had an oyster stout that was awesome.

image-3815635308.jpg

I'll add my vote for that rancid Boatswain IPA that's at Trader Joe's. Awful awful beer.

I think this guy just posted a clone recipe.

I just read "Homebrewing without Failures" by H.E. Bravery, I suspect it's one of the books the OP has. Here's his "Grain Malt" stout recipe:

For 4 gallons:

2# Black Patent
2# Crystal
1# Black Treacle (molasses)
3# white sugar
4 oz hops (no variety)
1 tsp salt
1 oz citric acid
yeast
nutrient

Mash for EIGHT HOURS at 145-150 degrees. (He recommends an aquarium heater to maintain temp)
Strain into pot, add 2 oz of hops and salt. Boil ten minutes then simmer for forty. Add remaining hops and boil ten minutes. Put the remaining ingredients into your dustbin and strain your mash into it. Top up to 4 gallons with hot water.Pitch yeast at 65-70 degrees and keep in warm place for 5-6 days. Bottle at 1.005 (this is allowing enough sugar for priming!)

It's horrible, but I'm a little tempted to make a gallon or even a half a gallon just for giggles.

Back