Most annoying trends in craft beer advertising...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownyard

Reaction score
1. Overflowing beer in every photo. This annoys the hell out of me. Clean it up and learn how to pour!
2. Using the word "crushable"in ad copy. It bugs the hell out of me for some reason.
3 Using "af" in ad copy. Really?

that advertising is so expensive that most craft breweries can't advertise the way the big boys do...

I agree with that, i have found myself using my untappd ap so i could figure out if i would like a beer or not because there was no other way for me to find out what style it was or anything else about the beer. nothing like standing in a beer distributor staring at my phone like it is my first time buying craft beer.

"this beer for men and these for women"
Cmon, I don't mind trying choco milk stout. Why genderize beer?

Beer names that sound more like emo band names than anything you'd want to drink.

Not just beer ads but...
Lifestyle advertising. Showing young adults drinking beer during sunset after they surfed/hiked/rock climbed etc.
I’d rather see more pics of beer and actually describe what it is.

Years ago I was shopping for a new car and would pick up the glossy brochures (which are more like magazines) for each model I was interested in.
Without fail, you’d have to get to about the 8th or 9th page before learning about the actual car. The first half of the magazine was like an adventure book filled with pics of kayaks, mt bikes, dogs, skis etc.
Rant over. I feel old.

I think some companies have identity crises when it comes to labeling their beers. One I know of will be SUPER boring with names like:

Mosaic! Mosaic! IPA
Citra + Nelson DDH Hazy IPA
Japanese Lager

yeah...those are pretty damn obvious

and have others with names like

Sunken Isles
Fitzy One

i don't know if this is advertising or not, but last a saw a few years back a damn 4 pack, selling for $20

I suppose I've gotten really good at not paying attention to advertising because I can't remember the last time I saw an actual "craft beer" ad.

I wonder of ABInBev would notice if a small brewer "borrowed" Spuds Mckenzie?

1612402336927.png

Back