Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a buddy, I can bottle a 5 gallon batch in an hour, which doesn't seem too hard.. Put the buddy who is mooching to work! He can run the capper. Seems like the least you can ask him to do if you are making him cider.

I do the same. Buddy also runs the vinator while I'm calculating and measuring priming sugar, racking from fermenter. We usually get the batch done in about 45 minutes, then I take care of the cleaning while he makes sure bottles are dry on the outside and packs them up in cases. Exception being that my guy isn't a mooch and I usually send him home with some homebrew for his assistance.

The one that gets me is when someone I don't know well, but is an acquaintance through a mutual friend gets pushy about needing

'A sample 6 pack or two' and then wrote his address down for me to bring it to.

Thanks for expressing an interest but don't ask me to deliver, if I want to drop you some I'll let you know.

The one that gets me is when someone I don't know well, but is an acquaintance through a mutual friend gets pushy about needing

'A sample 6 pack or two' and then wrote his address down for me to bring it to.

Thanks for expressing an interest but don't ask me to deliver, if I want to drop you some I'll let you know.

I say drop it off with a very stern, "This is the ONLY time." then offer to teach him if he's interested. and try to do and say things that emasculate him in a sly way, like punching him in the nose 3 times and calling him a p****.

With a buddy, I can bottle a 5 gallon batch in an hour, which doesn't seem too hard.. Put the buddy who is mooching to work! He can run the capper. Seems like the least you can ask him to do if you are making him cider.

Probably. .. right now nothing going to happen and I don't care because I have the flu and it's kicking my a$$. Have to mark this year down as sucking butt.

....things that emasculate him in a sly way, like punching him in the nose 3 times and calling him a p****.

That's "a pterodactyl", for those keeping score at home.

It's vitally important to call him a pterodactyl whilst subtly punching him in the nose. Because reasons.

First time I saw this from the outside. Coworker brings a recipe for a holiday tasting. Spot on, out of style but freaking amazing! We brew to our tastes and this was his taste and it was freaking good. I told him what I thought and sent my opinion to him awhile later when I opened it.

Dude on site is like this is freaking awesome, do you sell this, blah blah, brings two growlers on Monday and none of the empties he was given with request for return (clean labels).

CoW handled it professionally. I would've went NY on him. First time I got to see this on the sidelines. NO ONE knew why I was laughing so hard! F**** ing hilarious. (pterodactyl)

isn't it dark and have a lot of alcohol, does it taste like keystone, your freeking retarded why would you want to do that, why don't you make shine,

I've only been brewing for a couple of years, but I haven't heard anything too off. Nine times out of ten it seems like I get a "cool" or "I would like to learn how to do that." Just this week I had some family roll in to town and I mentioned I was going to brew (this Friday) a batch for the family reunion (Labor Day weekend). My cousin was telling his wife about it on the phone and she said "cool... bring a couple of bottles with you when you leave" (this Saturday). =) I heard him laugh and say "honey it doesn't work that way. I don't know... months? Well that is why we buy our beer." Hehe

WTF happened here? last 5 posts are like mind diarrhea. bring back the pterodactyls

Them: "Hey you brew beer, do you know Scott (last name)?"

Me: "...Yes, but not all homebrewers know each other. Do you know all the other Polish people in town?"

This has happened at least three times with the same person referenced. :tank:

Them: "Hey you brew beer, do you know Scott (last name)?"

Me: "...Yes, but not all homebrewers know each other. Do you know all the other Polish people in town?"

This has happened at least three times with the same person referenced. :tank:
But *do* you know Scott?

I'd have to say "Can you brew a Miller Lite?" (or Bud Light, Coors Light).

Which kind of reminds me -- I've a friend I've been working on for years to try some crafts beers and also have been introducing him to some "gateway" beers. He'll always say -- "That's pretty good, but I like my Miller Lite".
And I'm totally OK with that -- you like what you like.

When I take him into a craft beer bar and the first thing he will ask is "What do you have that is equivalent to Miller Lite?" and then he will ask "Do you have frosted mugs?" :)

I always get "oh that's cool, how long does it take?"

Me: it takes about 5 hours to brew, 2 weeks to ferment and a week in the keg before I usually drink it.

Them: wow that long! I'll just go buy it that's too long. As they sip their high life.

I always get "oh that's cool, how long does it take?"

Me: it takes about 5 hours to brew, 2 weeks to ferment and a week in the keg before I usually drink it.

Them: wow that long! I'll just go buy it that's too long. As they sip their high life.

I left my carboy of fermenting sour beer at my friend's place while my apartment was being fumigated and when I went to pick it up, one of his neighbors had just put a 24 pack of Bud Light in his pickup truck and saw the carboy and in an exaggerated and silly way went, "I-I-Is that alcohol?" and I said, "Yeah, it's five gallons of beer." And he goes "Give me sommma that." and my friend says, "Not ready yet. This one's probably got another 6 more months to go." (he's a homebrewer too, although he doesn't make sour beers). And the look on his face was precious, as if he could not grasp why anyone would ever spend six months to make a beer when you could buy a 24 pack of BMC for $15.

I thought it was interesting. He seemed like a nice guy. Just not a craft beer drinker.

The most annoying response I get is, "Oh. I don't like homebrew. I tried some once."

TOTALLY! Ha Ha Ha... I hear that ALL THE TIME in the store from friends of brewers in here. I'm like WHAT?? I just take them upstairs to the tasting room and let them try some. There all WOW that's homebrew? Uhhhh YEAH!

Cheers
Jay

TOTALLY! Ha Ha Ha... I hear that ALL THE TIME in the store from friends of brewers in here. I'm like WHAT?? I just take them upstairs to the tasting room and let them try some. There all WOW that's homebrew? Uhhhh YEAH!

Cheers
Jay
The assumption that there's just one kind of homebrew. It's like, "Yeah. I don't like movies. I watched one once."

...why anyone would ever spend six months to make a beer when you could buy a 24 pack of BMC for $15.

I'll admit it, if it were that cheap here I'd be inclined to buy it. As hangover rehydration or something. About $32 is the cheapest for a 24 of those around here.

I'll admit it, if it were that cheap here I'd be inclined to buy it. As hangover rehydration or something. About $32 is the cheapest for a 24 of those around here.

Holy crap, I can buy craft beers in the store for $36 a case! But I'm still trying to brew my own anyway.

Although alcohol in general is cheaper in California than in most states (due to the lack of nanny state liquor laws that a lot of the other states have, I believe), I don't think there's a state in the US where a 24 pack of Bud Light is as expensive as $32. Around here it's usually between $14 and $20 (not that I buy it, but I see it advertised a lot). I do remember that it was a lot more expensive where I grew up in the Midwest and East Coast. That said, I wouldn't buy it even if it were $8 for a 24 pack. Eh.

I was testing the boil off rate in all 3 of my three tier setup. I wanted to know how each pot behaved because I may swap uses if I go to larger batches. Pretty soon a cop pulls up, out come the moonshine questions... I tell him I brew beer and he tells me that isn't legal... yeah I had to get him to get his boss out because he didn't believe me it was legal and he wanted to arrest me!

"are you making moonshine?"

no you idiot, i'm making meth. obviously.

Whenever I mention future brewing plans when I happen to be over, mom keeps asking me "What are you DOING with all that beer?!" And I patiently explain, AGAIN, the mathematics of ~50 12oz per 5 gallon batch and 2 beers a day plus like a quarter of the batch given away to friends and family or brought to parties. :rolleyes: (Plus, you know, having choices for any given day...)

And occasionally comments that she keeps expecting my apartment to contain a giant stainless steel or copper tank, like at Sudwerks. Because apparently some part of "5 gallon batches" is unclear. :smack:

Honestly, the most annoying response is when people ask how you make beer. 95% of the time they're just being polite and don't actually want to hear any kind of explanation of the brewing process, so you're stuck either giving a basic rundown of the process knowing you'll lose them thirty words in, or a super-simple response ("water, barley, hops, and yeast") that's so short that inevitably leads them, the gluttons-for-punishment that they are, to ask follow-up questions like, "what are hops?" or "how long does it take?" or "how do you get it in the bottles?" or make wildly-inaccurate conjectures like "so you boil everything together and then wait for it to ferment?" that require you to get deeper into the topic of conversation that they don't actually want to discuss. Either way, 95% of the time the "how do you make beer?" question is a conversation killer and you take the blame for killing the conversation by talking about a technical process even if you're just answering their questions.

Make no mistake, I love to talk about brewing with people who are genuinely interested, but most of the time they aren't and once they ask the question there's no way to win.

The most annoying response I get is, "Oh. I don't like homebrew. I tried some once."

Heh, yep, and it's usually something like, "My roommate back in college made his own beer, and it was terrible."

Me: "How long ago was that?"

Them: "Oh, about 20 years, maybe?"

Me: "It's different now. You should give it another try."

Latest posts

Back