Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being an IT guy I will tell you a secret. If you are nice to us we return the favor. Bribe us a little with baked goods and/or home brew. Be a gracious 'customer' when you have a problem, get to know us by name but don't be needy. Be nice to us and usually we will hook you up.

This. Someone in my office used the term "computer Nazi" to describe one of the IT folks, thinking it was funny, and it got out. It was years before things were back to normal.

We all know each other.

Used to get this with the army all the time

Me: in uniform in random location
Them: hey my friends sisters baby mamas exs father in-laws brother is in the Army
Me: oh
Them: do you know them?
Me: what unit are they in?
Them: oh Idk but they're in the Army
ME: *see attached pic

1416029819334.jpg

Used to get this with the army all the time

Me: in uniform in random location
Them: hey my friends sisters baby mamas exs father in-laws brother is in the Army
Me: oh
Them: do you know them?
Me: what unit are they in?
Them: oh Idk but they're in the Army
ME: *see attached pic

when I moved to Las Vegas and people found out I was from South Dakota, "Do you know Frank Johnson?"
and when they saw the cord hanging in the front of my '89 Caviler,
them: "Is that an electric car?"
me: "No. That's the block heater."
them: "What's that?!?"
me: "It keeps your engine warm enough to start in the winter."
them: "Nooooo! It's an electric car!"

when I moved to Las Vegas and people found out I was from South Dakota, "Do you know Frank Johnson?"

Yeah, but you like massed produced Fritos corn chips, right?

I'm addicted to all three! Can I get a HELL YEAH??!:rockin: I am a little hacked that they discontinued my bacon horseradish dip for the chili cheese fritos though...

I got that a lot moving from Wyoming to Washington in an 84 F150.

Yes sir, my big exhaust spewing truck is electric. I just added sound effects and a smoke screen to hide it...

A bit of the opposite. For the first time in my life I said I brew beer and make wine and mead to a coworker. His response: "oh, our freezer is overfilled with hops and specialty grains if you need any" THAT has never happened before!

Yes sir, my big exhaust spewing truck is electric. I just added sound effects and a smoke screen to hide it...

Off Topic: where in WY did you move from? we lived in Moorcroft for for a while, but I worked around the Gillette area (pipe welder in methane).

Fear of prison?

Seriously?

Do we honestly believe someone is going to be hauled away to prison because they had their buddies throw some cash their way for some home brew? Really?

IF someone even got caught for this which is unlikely in the first place, I really think a warning or other form of slap-on-the-wrist would be the first order of business. Jail time???

"Excuse me sir, it's come to our attention you've been selling homemade alcohol."
"Well, not really. I just have my buddies pitch in to help with ingredients."
"Sir, you are aware that this is illegal under section 472a of the alcohol control act of 1927?"
"I am now. Sorry."
"Come to jail. You are under arrest."

I may be naive but I think the booze police probably already have their hands full with larger, more organized illegal alcohol distribution operations. Stay free!

Seriously?

Do we honestly believe someone is going to be hauled away to prison because they had their buddies throw some cash their way for some home brew? Really?

IF someone even got caught for this which is unlikely in the first place, I really think a warning or other form of slap-on-the-wrist would be the first order of business. Jail time???

"Excuse me sir, it's come to our attention you've been selling homemade alcohol."
"Well, not really. I just have my buddies pitch in to help with ingredients."
"Sir, you are aware that this is illegal under section 472a of the alcohol control act of 1927?"
"I am now. Sorry."
"Come to jail. You are under arrest."

I may be naive but I think the booze police probably already have their hands full with larger, more organized illegal alcohol distribution operations. Stay free!

No, not seriuosly. However, I am glad you put so much effort into thinking I was. :ban:

But then theirs will be awful and they will think that mine must be awful too...

nein! they already know it's good, that's why they want a growler fill. seriously, I'd have no problem filling a growler from time to time. but if it became a habit, I'd offer to teach them to brew their own. if they don't want to learn, then they can go piss up a rope.

nein! they already know it's good, that's why they want a growler fill. seriously, I'd have no problem filling a growler from time to time. but if it became a habit, I'd offer to teach them to brew their own. if they don't want to learn, then they can go piss up a rope.

Ya know, in some ways we think alike. I wanna party with you, cowboy...

This is my part!....

Last edited by a moderator:

You must've moved to the west side, because engine block heaters are a pretty common sight over here on the east side.

OK, I'll admit it. I work for one of the three BMC's, inspecting bottles at a glass plant. I'm not ashamed of this, and I get 3 free cases a month!

:off: I am on record for saying that my #1 preference in beer is free beer.

That was a long time ago however :) I find that I just can't drink SAB (our version of Budmilloors). Except for Castle Milk Stout, that's not bad.

Spent a night at a party drinking Clausthaler because that was the only alternative to SAB. After the third one the barman gave me the rest for free because nobody else had been buying it for as long as he could remember.

:off: I am on record for saying that my #1 preference in beer is free beer.

That was a long time ago however :) I find that I just can't drink SAB (our version of Budmilloors). Except for Castle Milk Stout, that's not bad.

Spent a night at a party drinking Clausthaler because that was the only alternative to SAB. After the third one the barman gave me the rest for free because nobody else had been buying it for as long as he could remember.

Kind of funny that the non-alcoholic was better than the real beer. It is a pretty decent one, though.

I will never understand why. People are brainwashed to think that every beer should taste like a light adjunct lager. And if it doesn't, there is something wrong with their brewing process.

A good friend with a quirky sense of humor and not much experience with beer when we were younger used to say that beer is supposed to taste like "horse piss in a rusty bucket". I corrected him on that :)

The only real annoying thing I hear is "awesome but isn't that so much work?"

C'est la vie

A good friend with a quirky sense of humor and not much experience with beer when we were younger used to say that beer is supposed to taste like "horse piss in a rusty bucket". I corrected him on that :D

The only real annoying thing I hear is "awesome but isn't that so much work?"

C'est la vie

Yep, it is time consuming. A lot of what we do these days for entertainment had to be done by our ancestors or they did without.

Wilson.jpg

Sweet mother of trout.... :(

Got to wonder if people ever actually think about what they're saying before they saying it.

Stopped at 2:20 myself.... annoying. I don't want to know who this guy is. Ignorance is indeed bliss in this case.

I think the video dufus is very full of bliss.

I get called a hipster for wearing a fedora, something I have done since long before there where hipsters. Besides can you really be a hipster and over 50?

I got called a hipster once for having a beard. They didn't realize my beard is older than most hipsters :p

Time will tell when the trendy kids jump off the bandwagon after a while leaving it back in the hands of those who actually care about brewing.

Oh, so you were wearing a fedora before wearing a fedora was cool?

Classic hipster.

hahaha- walked into that.

My grandfather always wore a fedora when going to town. Wore a cowboy hat when working on the farm. So when I hit my early thirties it just seemed like the right thing to do. The good thing about the hipsters is it has made finding a fedora easier than in the past. Stetson is making a few more runs of them.

hahaha- walked into that.

My grandfather always wore a fedora when going to town. Wore a cowboy hat when working on the farm. So when I hit my early thirties it just seemed like the right thing to do. The good thing about the hipsters is it has made finding a fedora easier than in the past. Stetson is making a few more runs of them.

My grandfather wore a walking hat for my entire childhood; I always called it his Inspector Gadget hat. To my surprise, he passed it on to me a few years ago. I just wish I could pull it off like he did.

I don't find too many annoying responses when mentioning that I homebrew, more of a general interest. Nothing like when I was big into keeping tropical fish...you mention that you have a fishtank (never mind that what I had in fish, coral and equipment was worth probably twice the value of my car) and suddenly EVERYONE'S an expert.

Back