More Yeast Starter Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimyHoboSack

Reaction score
I'm doing a yeast starter for the first time for a brew and I have a few questions. I'm doing a step up starter, I did a 1.8L starter and then just moved it up to a 3.6 or so starter last night.

When measuring a starters size do you go off of the size of the liquid or the liquid+DME?

How much headspace do you usually leave in a starter? My first starter didn't have a huge krausen and was fine in with 200ml of headspace, but my current 3.6L starter in a 4L flask has a huge krausen and was starting to spill out when I woke up this morning.

I decanted my first starter, swirled the remaining liquid and then threw the rest on astir plate to get the yeast back into suspension for pouring. When I went to pour the yeast in there were still some decent sized whitish chunks at the bottom. I got as many as I could in thinking there was probably yeast there, but is that likely to be break material or something I can leave out or am I right in pitching as much as possible?

I sampled some of the decanted liquid from my first starter and it tasted undrinkably abysmal, that's normal for a starter and doubly for a lager starter fermented at room temp? I've heard starters contribute off flavors, but I 'm not sure just how bad it's supposed to be.

When measuring a starters size do you go off of the size of the liquid or the liquid+DME?

from http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.htm

"When making starter wort, keep the starting gravity between 1.030 and 1.040 (7 - 10°P). You do not want to make a high gravity starter to grow yeast. As a ballpark measurement, use about 6 ounces (by weight) of DME to 2 quarts of water. If you're working in metric, it couldn't be easier. Use a 10 to 1 ratio. Add 1 gram of DME for every 10 ml of final volume. (If you're making a 2 liter starter, add water to 200 grams of DME until you have 2 liters total.) Add ¼ teaspoon of yeast nutrient, boil 15 minutes, cool, and add yeast."

Take this as you want, because I think it reads both ways. In one sentence, it sounds like the 1 gram DME : 10 ml is for post boil (ie - final volume)....

"Add 1 gram of DME for every 10 ml of final volume."

....and the next sentence sounds like it is supposed to be the volume of liquid + DME pre-boil.

"If you're making a 2 liter starter, add water to 200 grams of DME until you have 2 liters total"

So I honestly don't know. However, the evaporation you see over a 15 minute gentle boil is not going to concentrate your wort so much that it should make a big difference. 1.030 - 1.040 is a pretty forgiving range. Personally (for a 1 liter starter), I weight 100 grams of DME in a sauce pan, and measure 1000 ml seperately in my 2000 ml flask. I then pour the liquid into the pan to bring up to a boil, so my total starting volume is 100 grams DME + 1000 ml of liquid (essentially less concentrated than if you made 1 liter = DME + Liquid).

I only do it this way because it makes measurements a little easier, and I like to start the boil in a sauce pan to break up clumps and reduce boil over issues, then transfer to the flask for a 15 minute boil.

Honestly, I would also love to know the correct answer, but either way - close enough.

As far as head space, I really like using the 2000 ml flask for my 1 liter starters. I always try to keep my starter around 1 liter, and just change the number of vials, rather than always using one vial, and changing the amount of wort. The slider tool at mrmalty.com is great for that calculation. I use a stir plate, so I am able to get away with this strategy. I also do the starter about 24 hours ahead of pitching, so rather than cool and decant, I just pitch the whole thing. That would not be such a great idea with a 1+ gallon (grown up from one vial) starter going into 5 Gallons of Munich Helles.

Just my thoughts.

Joe

Thanks for the response.

I've been boiling straight in the flask to reduce the amount of sterilization necessary and to cut down on chances for infection. I didn't keep too close of an eye on the before and after volume, but it seems that the shape of the flasks prevents most of the boil off that occurs in a regular pot.

The first starter I tried mixing in the flask and that was a bit of a trial, so the second starter I whisked the DME and some water in a bowl then poured it into the flask to boil it. That worked out much better and since it takes much less water to whisk with I can do that then fill the starter up to the desired amount more accurately.

Latest posts

Back