More to it than I thought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone back and forth about whether this is a troll or not, but I'm really leaning towards it being a troll right now. It's just way too insane. The idea of spending $20,000 (or whatever) to brew Mr. Beer... Although I can't say it's impossible that there's someone out there who would do something that crazy, stuff like that water distiller that takes weeks and weeks to distill enough water for a full batch (when you actually want minerals in your water for brewing, something distilled water lacks) and the idea of buying a water test kit when you haven't even finished your first beer...

If Mr. Altrez isn't a troll, then he's a shopaholic/credit card addict...

First beer is finished. I don't think its possible for me to max out my credit cards. And I am not a shopaholic! Perhaps an alcoholic but that's different. It takes me 1 day to make water for my brews and I am going to start adding minerals using Brwnwater when I get to all grain.

:mug:

-Altrez

Troll or not, the entertainment value makes this thread worth reading - kind of like one of those old radio serials where you tune in each Saturday afternoon.

Either way, I say go for it, Altrez. If you're legit, then you're having the time of your life, and making it interesting at the same time. If you're a troll, then you're having the time of your life, and making it interesting at the same time. It's a win/win, either way ~ :mug:

I would guess that it is at least $2000 per bottle so far. And with what has been spent it will be a decade or more until a beer can be made for less that what would be paid at a bar.

I buy very little equipment now and can say that I spend less (all equipment and ingredients etc totaled) than $2 per bottle averaged for the five years that I have been brewing. The more I brew without buying new equipment brings the cost per bottle down even more.

I would guess that it is at least $2000 per bottle so far. And with what has been spent it will be a decade or more until a beer can be made for less that what would be paid at a bar.

I buy very little equipment now and can say that I spend less (all equipment and ingredients etc totaled) than $2 per bottle averaged for the five years that I have been brewing. The more I brew without buying new equipment brings the cost per bottle down even more.

I can honestly say that I couldn't tell you what my cost "per" is right now. Its really kinda moot as far as I'm concerned (which is a little ironic because I took my wife to the brew store today to pick up some ingredients and got $30 in honey alone so she's asking if all my beers are this expensive!).

I'm also mapping out an "electric strategy", which I don't need but I want which will drive up my cost "per" even further. Some brewers like to play with toys and gadgets. Different strokes, right?

I read this thread every day and then genuflect to Al Gore for the blessing which is the internet! :)

Blaspheme! Al Gore had nothing to do with the internet! It was the people under him and the hard workers at CERN that did all the work!

-Altrez

lol. Please it's only like $200 per bottle so far!

-Altrez

First beer is finished. I don't think its possible for me to max out my credit cards. And I am not a shopaholic! Perhaps an alcoholic but that's different. It takes me 1 day to make water for my brews and I am going to start adding minerals using Brwnwater when I get to all grain.

-Altrez

Because your combined credit card limit is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars? :fro:

I don't know if you're a troll or a shopaholic, but I will say that I've gotten quite a bit of entertainment out of this thread. It is quite entertaining from just how crazy you are (no offense). :p

Holy smokes, I just read every word of these last 53 pages in one sitting. I can't get enough. This is SO much fun!

I am inclined to believe you, Altrez, that you are indeed genuine in all of this. I know that if I had the means, I would go crazy with the equipment purchases, regardless of "needing it" to make good beer. I absolutely do not have money to spend on more brewing equipment beyond my current AG setup, but that sure doesn't stop me from spending plenty of time on internet retailers' sites drooling over glycol jacketed conicals, yeast lab equipment, and tons of other utterly unnecessary equipment (on which I'd 100% click "add to cart" if I were able). So good on you, I wish I were in your shoes!

I'm going to offer a piece of advice that for some reason has not been put forth in this thread (I don't think), but that you should take heed of given your current situation. Make your extract beers using unadjusted distilled water. This is advice straight from the mouth of some of the major homebrew experts (John Palmer comes to mind, among others). The reason is that the extract already contains whatever mineral profile was used in its creation, and you are essentially just reconstituting it. Since you have no way of knowing what this water profile is, you're just stabbing in the dark by adding your own mineral additions on top of it. You may get lucky, or you may create a beer that tastes like alka-seltzer. Building your water profile with mineral additions is an awesomely useful practice when brewing from grain, but is basically pointless in an extract brew. Think of it like having a clutch installed in your automatic transmission minivan. Sure, you have put in a clutch, but this is the wrong context for it and it is at best redundant. Master other areas of your process now while you are in the extract phase, and save water for when it is actually relevant.

Looking forward to hearing more as your beers become ready to drink!

By the way, I see you're in Owensboro. I grew up in Evansville, IN, and if I still lived in the area I'd be hounding you to come check out all your fun brewing toys!

Going off-grid is a fantastic idea, Altrez. Get some solar cells, maybe a windmill for cloudy days, plus your backup generator and maybe an exercise bike with a dynamo for those emergency situations. You're going to need some deep-cycle batteries.

Of course, if you're really trying to be green, the next logical step is water recovery. You've already got the distiller or whatever it was you bought to purify your water. Now you just have to hook a toilet up to the input reservoir. Then NOTHING will go to waste! Circle of life!

Going off-grid is a fantastic idea, Altrez. Get some solar cells, maybe a windmill for cloudy days, plus your backup generator and maybe an exercise bike with a dynamo for those emergency situations. You're going to need some deep-cycle batteries.

Of course, if you're really trying to be green, the next logical step is water recovery. You've already got the distiller or whatever it was you bought to purify your water. Now you just have to hook a toilet up to the input reservoir. Then NOTHING will go to waste! Circle of life!

That sounds like a pretty good idea! I wonder if rain water would be ok once distilled? The bathroom waste water could be used to water plants in the back yard. And i could get a compost toilet system.

-Altrez

By the way, I see you're in Owensboro. I grew up in Evansville, IN, and if I still lived in the area I'd be hounding you to come check out all your fun brewing toys!

I like Evansville pretty cool place. They have a few breweries over there and a home-brew store. We go to the mall at least once a month.

-Altrez

I just wish I had the money that has already been spent on things that will never be "needed". (yes it can be re-purposed...)

Think of all the ingredients could have been bought for actually brewing beer.

Or just spending it on other things......

Sometimes I wonder who is getting the most entertainment from this way too long thread.

That sounds like a pretty good idea! I wonder if rain water would be ok once distilled? The bathroom waste water could be used to water plants in the back yard. And i could get a compost toilet system.

-Altrez

Burn the compost to roast your own grains. :)

You know another thing - goofy ambitions and incredible posts aside, there is an awful lot of actual and practical brewing knowledge being shared and exchanged on this thread. With that in mind, keep it going!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish I had the money that has already been spent on things that will never be "needed". (yes it can be re-purposed...)

Think of all the ingredients could have been bought for actually brewing beer.

Or just spending it on other things......

Yep, ingredients and fermenters so you can actually get a product. Not a bunch of fancy equipment and nothing to drink. :D

Home Brew!

My LED dry erase sign. I need to buy some cleaner for it and some stencils.

-Altrez

ledsi.jpg

Don't you actually have to make some beer first to have something to put on your sign? ;)

I have made 10 gallons of beer. Working on another 10 over the next two weeks. I have tried one bottle from my first batch. I got a bottle from the secound one chilling.

-Altrez

I have made 10 gallons of beer. Working on another 10 over the next two weeks. I have tried one bottle from my first batch. I got a bottle from the secound one chilling.

-Altrez

That's the humor in this whole thread. Got all this crap and only made 10 gallon so far, which is nothing. Buy some ingredients and brew man. ;)

That's the humor in this whole thread. Got all this crap and only made 10 gallon so far, which is nothing. Buy some ingredients and brew man. ;)

20 Gallons a month is enough for now I need to test different beers that I want to try. I want to focus on quality as well.

Trust me. When I get ready to ramp it up it will be awesome.

One thing I have learned so far is that beer brewing takes time. And no matter how bad I want to make it go faster the beer decides when it is ready.

As always I value your input.

-Altrez

Update:

Just bottled and kegged a 1 gallon NB IPA kit. It tasted just like a IPA I would buy in the store. It had no green apple taste. The beer had a good nose and good bitterness.

I only got 3 bottles of beer from it and about 64oz in a mini keg.

-Altez

Update:

Just bottled and kegged a 1 gallon NB IPA kit. It tasted just like a IPA I would buy in the store. It had no green apple taste. The beer had a good nose and good bitterness.

I only got 3 bottles of beer from it and about 64oz in a mini keg.

-Altez

I just shot home brew out my nose! Man that's a lot of work for 3 bottles of beer and a few oz in the keg!

You need to up the game a bit and at least get 5 bottles!

I just shot home brew out my nose! Man that's a lot of work for 3 bottles of beer and a few oz in the keg!

You need to up the game a bit and at least get 5 bottles!

I agree, make more beeeeeer!

On the other hand, he got 100 oz total out of his batch (equivalent to a little more than 8 bottles' worth), which was all I was ever able to squeeze out of those NB 1-gallon kits when I was making them early on. You lose a lot of that "gallon" to trub in those tiny 1 gallon glass jugs.

I'm betting when he eventually steps up to a larger batch size (you know, $40,000 from now), his brewhouse efficiency won't be any worse than yours or mine! :D

Update:

I brewed a MR. Beer Diablo IPA kit last night and it is warming up the fridge today to the point that it is running a cooling cycle once every hour. I have just ordered a few more kits to make so everything is coming along really well.

-Altrez

I am no troll!!! I mean what I say and back everything up!!! I can use 90% of everything I buy on other projects if I need too.

Trust me guys / gals. I am in this for the long haul and I always back everything I do up with proof.

I guess you think the new generator I bought from lowes for back up power is over the top for beer brewing!

-Altrez

Honestly, Altrez... I think 90%+ would say affirmative to this!!!

Mike

-Altrez

I have a nearly unlimited supply of money, too. But I am not stupid.... I still use this sight to help me decide what is worth spending on, and what isn't! Sometimes common sense has to come n to play, brother!!!

Mike

The bottom line is I have a lot of money. I could spend even more than I do, on beer making equipment. Not only don't I not want to.... But I also do not NEED to!!! I have made many many batches of beer in the last 20 years. And not once.... Have I had someone say to me that it reminds me of Bud Light. If they did, I would likely cry or punch them! I mean seriously???

Mike

I have a nearly unlimited supply of money, too. But I am not stupid.... I still use this sight to help me decide what is worth spending on, and what isn't! Sometimes common sense has to come n to play, brother!!!

Mike

Hey brother! I am not in the unlimited 1% crew yet. I do make really good investments that allow me to afford to spend money when I want to. I tend to buy things that are mulit use. Almost everything I have bought I can use day to day on other projects.

Is that a banjo you are pickin on? From the looks of the pic you are out RVin somewhere.

:tank:

-Altrez

The bottom line is I have a lot of money. I could spend even more than I do, on beer making equipment. Not only don't I not want to.... But I also do not NEED to!!! I have made many many batches of beer in the last 20 years. And not once.... Have I had someone say to me that it reminds me of Bud Light. If they did, I would likely cry or punch them! I mean seriously???

Mike

Well it was the wife who compared it to budlight so I was not going to win any argument there lol. However she did like it and she is very honest when she tells me how she feels about something.

So I know it was not a complete failure!

:)

-Altrez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back