More hops in whirlpool or dry hop for NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrew

Reaction score
As title states. Have plans to do a Neipa this weekend.
Grain bill is as follows:
10lbs Golden promise
3lbs flaked oats
1.5lbs white wheat
.5lb honey malt

I have 14oz of hops all together. 2oz Idaho 7,
4oz citra, 4oz mosaic, 4oz el dorado.
I’ve been looking at other recipes trying to get an idea, and from a previous thread I started, it was suggested to me use the Idaho 7 in the hot side at flameout or during whirlpool.
My main question though, should I use more hops in the dry hop or whirlpool? Or should I go with an even split?
Thanks for any advice.

Personally of the aroma hops in the grain bill, i tend to do 30-40% in the whirlpool, 10-20% in first dryhop during active frmentation, and then 40-50% Percent in the last dryhop

I also use a small bittering charge at 60 to even out the profile. Like .25-.5oz of Warrior or something comparable

I like more in the hopstand time frame. I'll do a flame out, 175F and 150F additions. Maybe ~2 oz each for 5 gal. Then about 2 oz for dry hop

Are you Kegging? What are you fermenting in?

Most professionals will tell you twice as much in the dry hop as the whirlpool...

Industry standard for the popular beers of this style is 3-4#/bbl DH. Thats roughly 8-12oz dry hop for 5 finished gallons.. give or take.

But it depends..

Thanks guys for the responses. A bittering charge is a given. Planned magnum at 60 mins. I am kegging, and I fermenting in a big mouth bubbler, in a chest freezer turned ferment chamber.

Food for thought, WP rates >2.0 lb/bbl typically produce less final beer hop character than the same hops used at <2.0 lb bbl. More you add, less you get type of thing. The same is also largely true for DH, where DH character loses varietal specific character greater than 2.0-2.5 lbs/bbl, if you believe the nice people at OSU. A similar argument can be made for mid fermentation DH process. Actually, there is a trend to go back to colder and shorter DH for achieving hop definition, now that people are starting to getting burned out over "saturated" and "juicy" hop character that all tastes the same.

40% hotside 60% dryhop has always produced great beers for me. Again this depends on which hops I’m using may sway the percentages a little more

Latest posts

Back