More Free Stuff - CO2 Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A former supervisor of mine donated his CO2 regulator and various fittings and what not to me today. See attached photos. Probalby hasn't been used in a decade or more... anything I should do to check the working condition of all this and things to do to initially clean it up?

I don't have any kegs yet, nor do I have any CO2 tanks. They're still on my list of stuff to buy.

Looks like I half of another airlock and another carboy brush, too.

Thanks,

Nic

IMG00311-20110816-1137.jpg

IMG00310-20110816-1137.jpg

IMG00309-20110816-1137.jpg

Looks like an alright dual-gauge single body regulator. You'll want to clean the heck out of it before hooking it up, I don't know any way to test it other than hooking it up and trying it out.

The black thing is a manifold, allowing you to hook up 3 kegs in tandem.

Also, not sure if you are aware but those red things are pin-lock quick disconnects so if you plan on using them you should shop for pin-lock style kegs (they won't work on ball lock kegs). I don't know much about them as far as cleaning/repairing/testing them. Give them a good soak then try them on your system once you get it?

As for the airlock, stopper, picnic tap, and maybe even the gas hose: I would probably chuck that stuff, it looks like it is in bad shape and all of those items are cheap enough to replace and give yourself peace of mind. Just my 0.02. I wouldn't want to use a piece of plastic that old, especially if it hasn't really been maintained/cleaned/etc.

Nonetheless, I'd say you definitely got your money's worth ;) Free stuff is the best

Nice find! That is older, but looks in good condition. I wouldn't worry about it, but I would second what jaycount said. Cut off and discard the hoses. That red gas line is cheap at auto parts stores. You can easily buy new disconnects for the pin lock kegs or ball lock kegs as you acquire your kegs, and they are about $5 apiece so I'd get rid of them. Buy whichever kegs you find cheapest, and then buy the correct disconnects.

Beerline is cheap, so buy new and put on about 8-10 feet per keg. A picnic tap is under $3.

A co2 cylinder can be expensive, so keep your eyes open for a cheap one and you'll be all set!

Yeah I figured the hoses and other vinyl/plastic stuff I would probalby toss anyway... so I'm onboard with all that.

The local (55 miles away) homebrew store sells new CO2 tanks:
5LB - $90
10LB-$140
20LB-$170

They also sell refubred cornelius kegs for $45 (or new ones for $140... I'll probly be getting used ones) but they look to all be ball-lock style kegs.

I do have a friend who works for a CO2 company so maybe he can find me a good deal.

Another question... I have some 15.5 gallon kegs; if I want to put my beer in those, would I be looking at a whole different set of regulators & connections etc. or would I just need a few extra parts?

Check out kegconnection on kegs and co2 tanks. I think even with shipping they'll be cheaper than your local stores.

The local (55 miles away) homebrew store sells new CO2 tanks:
5LB - $90
10LB-$140
20LB-$170

Those cylinder prices are a ripoff IMO - filled or unfilled. Look for a local air/gas company to sell them to you. Like "Haun", etc. When will LHBS's get it that if they just offer a fair price we would go to them for everything....

My local price for those (you buy the cylinder then swap each time) filled with gas is more like:
5LB - $45
10LB-$70
20LB-$120

should say your gas refill price if you have a cylinder is like $23 for the 20lber (can't recall the other sizes). I went from 10 up to 20 shortly after.

If your friend works in CO2, tell him to either hook you up with a swap tank, or get a cheap 'lease' on a tank. You don't own the tank, you just rent it and pay for the gas.

I think I paid $65 or so for a refurb tank on ebay. I swapped it out. I got a great deal on an aluminum 5# tank, and I just have that one refilled.

B

Oh, and keep the MFL fittings from the ball locks. They're stainless and will clean up well in some starsan/pbw.

If you want to use/buy regular tanks, you'll need to pick up a Sanke adapter, and hook it up to your faucet/gas lines when you want. If you're set up with MFL fittings, it's an easy swap.

B

Oh, and keep the MFL fittings from the ball locks. They're stainless and will clean up well in some starsan/pbw.

If you want to use/buy regular tanks, you'll need to pick up a Sanke adapter, and hook it up to your faucet/gas lines when you want. If you're set up with MFL fittings, it's an easy swap.

B

What is an "MFL" fitting? Not one I'm familiar with.

THere is an Airgas location in town... I would likely shoot for doing the tank exchange method...sounds convenient enough. I assume I would just need food/drink grade gas. Are the tanks graded the same way as well?

Back