More Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed a small (1.049) Saison using Wyeast 3726 one year ago. After 5 days of fermentation I pitched a health dose of Brett B. into the primary (1.014). I let the beer sit at 64-68 for six months, then added 5 pounds of raspberries (1.010) and let sit for another six months (1.006). There is a small pellicle but very little Brett flavor. The gravity is stable so I'd like to bottle soon. Should I add more Brett to this at bottling? I really would like the Brett character to be there more than it is now, that's why I leaning towards adding more Brett. I also plan on adding 4oz. table sugar at bottling to achieve 3 volumes of carbonation. Does that sound about right?

Thanks,
Mike

You can always add a second strain of brett for a more complex brett character but you may not need to. Brett does some fun things under the pressure of the bottle. I would shoot for 3 volumes and bottle in thick glass.

A new strain in addition to your priming sugar would be good. All the sacch is dead/dormant by now so only the Brett would be doing the work.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I will add a different Brett at bottling. Does anyone know what Brett is used in Boulevard's Saison Brett? I have a bottle of this year's batch that I could harvest from.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back