Montreal Represent! - Hi guys! :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boicutt

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Phil from Montreal here!

I've been in love with craft beer for some 6-7 years now. I still remember tasting my first craft beer even if I "hated" this thing people call beer ie: Budweiser, Bud light, Pabst...etc. that first sip was phenomenal and I couldn't believe beer could actually, not taste like piss water.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist at everything I put my mind to, and I've been reading up for about 6 months now on these forums, bought quite a few books (including the most recent edition of John Palmers How To Brew) and gradually built myself a home brewing kit. I now believe I have the minimum knowledge and equipment (still need bottles and can't make up my mind to start right off with kegging or not) to start brewing!

I'll be taking the plunge over the weekend with an Extract Amber Ale with specialty grains, a recipe I found along the way. The thing that stresses me out the most is sanitation due to knowing how easy it can be to contaminate the wort/beer.

I hope I'll be around for some time and eventually be able to contribute to other new comers! Thanks for all the help already, I've read and learned so much on here!

Cheers!:mug:

Welcome boicutt.

As far as bottling versus kegging your first batches, I would lean toward bottling. I'm sure for awhile your brews will improve with each batch.

If you had a keg tied up with an earlier batch, and you make something you like better later, you'd probably be tempted to dump the batch of earlier stuff to make way for newer stuff.

But if you had it bottled, you could easily pass a few bottles around to your friends and work through the earlier stuff more quickly on your way to the better stuff.

Does that make sense?

Welcome boicutt.

As far as bottling versus kegging your first batches, I would lean toward bottling. I'm sure for awhile your brews will improve with each batch.

If you had a keg tied up with an earlier batch, and you make something you like better later, you'd probably be tempted to dump the batch of earlier stuff to make way for newer stuff.

But if you had it bottled, you could easily pass a few bottles around to your friends and work through the earlier stuff more quickly on your way to the better stuff.

Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense! Thank you for the tip! :)

Back